Braggot popularity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not very, you'd be hard pressed to find a commercial example. Personally, I don't like them.

Why not just ferment the second runnings as-is? Part of the attraction of parti-gyle is getting a small beer that can be consumed while waiting for the big one to finish.

Not very, you'd be hard pressed to find a commercial example. Personally, I don't like them.

Why not just ferment the second runnings as-is? Part of the attraction of parti-gyle is getting a small beer that can be consumed while waiting for the big one to finish.

I am a big fan of partigyling it up, but the problem is that you are stuck making a pretty strong beer, and if you're planning on adding some candi syrup or sugar, your gravity points will quickly get out of control. It limits you a little bit. It makes more sense to add fermentables to the second beer.

This is really a great idea.

weyerbacher sixteen is a braggot. the only commercial example i've ever found. but i haven't looked very hard.

it's pretty good too.

I am a big fan of partigyling it up, but the problem is that you are stuck making a pretty strong beer, and if you're planning on adding some candi syrup or sugar, your gravity points will quickly get out of control. It limits you a little bit. It makes more sense to add fermentables to the second beer.

This is really a great idea.

not necessarily. i mean if you do it right you can create any gravity/volume combination you want.

I say go for it, I'd just add enough honey to double your gravity.

I love braggots!

For a commercial example, check out White Winter Winery, they have two excellent braggots (they call them brackets).

Old Danish Braggot from Dansk Mjød is the first one that I had tried. I thought it was delicious. The second one that I had was made locally here, called Brother Adam's Bragget Ale from Atlantic Brewing Co. Again, delicious.

That being said, I have a 5 gallon batch of a braggot that I started last week. 9 lbs of honey, OG 1.112. Should be awesome when I try it 1-2 years from now :(

i had a prickley pear braggot once. it was pretty good! strong as hell, couldn't taste the prickley pear too much, but still good.

I parti-gyled the mash from my belgian dark strong on a whim (unplanned) into a small beer with honey added.

I had about 5 gallons of small beer at 1.028ish bumped it up to 1.041 with honey, bittered to ~18ibu with one 60 min addition of Hallertauer fermented with an older vile of WLP500 I had sitting around.

It came out pretty nice. It is really dry and has a good amount of yeast character.

This is not a typical braggot at all but I think it technically is a Partigyled belgian braggot.

every homebrewer I've talked to about braggots (I think the total is around 3 now, lol) mentions they take a tremendous amount of time to age. 2 years is minimum.

i do not have the patience for that.

every homebrewer I've talked to about braggots (I think the total is around 3 now, lol) mentions they take a tremendous amount of time to age. 2 years is minimum.

No need to have patience, you just need to forget about it. Brew it, bottle it, place it somewhere, and forget about it. Several years later, you find it again, and realize you should have made a second batch a year ago because it's just so awesome!

I was drinking mine within 6 months and it was good, now after 6 years it's excellent but almost gone. I drank it on tap for 3 years, but rarely and 3 years ago I finally bottled the last 3 gallons.

I have sampled one of my bragotts and it is WAY too young at 6 months. I expect to age mine at least a year and a half but probably more considering its 14% and i wont be able to drink more that one at a time. Its definitely going to be a special occasion beer

As in Braggots, just as in any other fermented beverage, the amount of aging required is directly related to the OG as well as brewing practices. The two Braggots I've made so far were both drinkable within 3-4 months, but both are still improving with age. One is sitting at 6 months, the other is only at 4 months. Both had an OG of around 1.090.

Also, Braggots can be made with virtually any base beer style. So an IPA-Braggot with a relatively low gravity would obviously be ready to drink much sooner than a BarleyWine-Braggot.

Lastly, the percentage of the fermentables that come from honey play a role in how much age is required. BJCP doesn't specify how much needs to come from honey for it to qualify, only that it should have characteristics from the honey. A Braggot with a smaller percentage of honey (more beer-like) would probably require a lot less time to be good than one that has a large percentage of honey.

BJCP doesn't specify how much needs to come from honey for it to qualify, only that it should have characteristics from the honey.

From what I always heard, for it to be considered a braggot it needs at least 50% of the fermentables to come from honey. Otherwise i think it is considered a honey beer. But then again, what do i know :drunk:

yeah, I agree wtih mrorange - I think a substantial amount of fermentables should come from the honey in order to classify as a braggot.

otherwise it's just beer with honey.

I'm making a blackberry braggot to serve at the hbt get together at nhc 2013 in philly.

From what I always heard, for it to be considered a braggot it needs at least 50% of the fermentables to come from honey. Otherwise i think it is considered a honey beer. But then again, what do i know :drunk:

yeah, I agree wtih mrorange - I think a substantial amount of fermentables should come from the honey in order to classify as a braggot.

otherwise it's just beer with honey.

Well, that seems to be what everyone thinks. I just can't find evidence that it's true. From the BJCP site: "The fermentable sugars come from a balance of malt or malt extract and honey, although the specific balance is open to creative interpretation by brewers." At the end of that section it does say: "Products with a relatively low proportion of honey should be entered in the Specialty Beer category as a Honey Beer." But what does "relatively low" mean? Relative to what?

"Substantial" can mean different things to different people anyway.

Just my .02

i think its kinda open to interpretation. you should know if what you have tastes more like a braggot than a honey beer. if they're that close then pick which one you like. obviously if there's only a pound or so of honey in a 5 gal batch it won't be very braggot like.

not necessarily. i mean if you do it right you can create any gravity/volume combination you want.

You could, but I don't have a refractometer, and without that it would be a hassle. I go with the 1/3-2/3 split.

Back