dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
I'm dry hopping with whole leaf hops, no bag, they are just floating on top, is this an ok technique? Should they be put in a bag with a few marbles or what?

I've dry hopped with pellets without a bag. I did attach a hop bag to the end of my racking hose (on the output side) when racking to the keg though.

One other time I DIDNT use the hop bag on the end of the racking hose and there was ALOT of hop particles in the bottles. It was kind of gross looking but didn't affect the taste/mouthfeel that I could tell.

Yeah, I had hop pellets in there too and syphoned with bag on the input and it got rid of all of those little **** collored floatys, used a net spoon to get the whole leafs out into the secondary most the hop pellets were still from brew day a week and half ago, tried the beer and it didn't taste grassy so I think I saved it in time

I think the general consensus is that free is better in terms of utilization. That said, I would go with pellets. When I first started brewing I dry hopped with plugs and whole hops. It was such a nightmare that I never got anything into a bottle. Lesson learned. (Filling up a carboy/bucket with whole leaf hops or plugs is almost impossible to rack off of in my experience)

I'd have to ask why you are using whole leaf hops. Did you grow them?

All of that said... I would stick that thing in there and rack underneath the hops. There will come a point where the hops meet the sludge at the bottom and you'll have to bail on it and leave some beer. That's ok.

Most all my yeast and suppended substance had settled in primary but the hops didn't, so today I filtered them out except the Citra whole leaves that I bought (only whole leaf Citra avaliable at HBS) but the hop bag on siphon really helps for the suspended pellet hop bits

My main question is if I'm using whole leaf is it ok that they are floating or should I bag them and weight them down so they are at the bottom of the beer?

In the words of Charlie Papazian: Relax, Don't worry. Have a homebrew. Your whole leafs are fine sitting on top

Back