Okay, I Bought a Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexun

Reaction score
And this bar sells a lot of beer. I make beer... Good beer... And it is cheap to make. How do I obtain a license to brew and consume on premise in the great state of Georgia?

Good question left for your state liquor board to answer...you will also need the blessing of the Fed I believe. However, it is a lengthy process from my understanding so if you are serious about the venture get the legal stuff going first and while that is occuring in the background then start setting up the brewering. Again, I have no experience just what I have heard so take it for what its worth.

Subscribed. I'd like to know as well.

I know of one microbrewery/restaurant that was doing a ton of business, and was always packed. Then one day, they closed up shop. Rumor was it had something to do with the brewing/serving on premises laws we have here. I don't know if that's true or not, though (hopefully not).

The TTB has a checklist for folks wanting to go legit. Start here.

But have plenty of aspirin and you're checkbook handy, it's a pretty complicated and expensive mindfield you're about to tread on....best of luck.

Here's step one. ;)

Brewery Qualification

If you’ve decided to brew beer for sale then you must first qualify with TTB by submitting a Brewer’s Notice.

To submit a Brewer’s Notice, you must complete the required documents in the application packet, which is available online. You also may access the necessary forms and documents from the information below.

We will complete our screening and processing within 95 days of receipt of an acceptable Brewer’s Notice application. There is no application fee.

If the premises you will use for this operation is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, you should not begin construction or remodeling until you have contacted your State Historic Preservation Office. Read more.

Starting a new business and understanding the process can be challenging. For an overview of the steps involved in getting started in a TTB-Regulated industry see our Industry Startup Tutorial.

WHAT YOU MUST DO:

First, you should become familiar with TTB regulations related to beer in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 27 Part 25.

The following forms must be properly completed and submitted to TTB:

TTB F 5130.10, Brewer’s Notice
TTB F 5130.22, Brewer’s Bond, or TTB F 5130.25, Brewer’s Collateral Bond, whichever is applicable (TWO ORIGINALS, NO PHOTOCOPIES)
TTB F 5000.9, Personnel Questionnaire, for each officer, director, and stockholders of more than 10 percent, member and partner (SINGLE COPY)
TTB F 5000.29, Environmental Information
TTB F 5000.30, Supplemental Information on Water Quality Considerations
Signing authority, if applicable

In addition, you must file a:

Diagram of the brewery premises
Description of the brewery premises
Legal Description of the Brewery – based on the lot, such as in your county records
Statement describing the security at the brewery

Please provide your e-mail address in Item 9 of the Brewer’s Notice application and a daytime telephone number in the event we need to contact you about your application.

If you have any questions, please contact TTB’s National Revenue Center (NRC) at 1-877-882-3277 or 513-684-2238.

SIGNATURE AUTHORIZATION

If you designate someone to sign documents or act on your behalf, you must submit one of the following with your application:

TTB F 5000.8, Power of Attorney;
TTB F 5100.1, Signing Authority for Corporate and LLC Officials, or complete Item 15 of the Brewer’s Notice; or
Corporate resolution or specific notification in organizational documents granting this authority.

SOLE OWNER

If you are filing as a sole owner and designate someone to sign documents or act on your behalf, you must file TTB F 5000.8, Power of Attorney.

CORPORATION

If you are filing as a corporation, you must also file:

Copy of Articles of Incorporation
Copy of Bylaws
List of officers, directors, and anyone holding 10 percent or more of stock, including addresses, and showing the number of shares held; and
Copy of certificate of incorporation executed by an officer of the State in which incorporated
If incorporated in a different State, a certificate showing authority to operate in the State where the brewery operations will take place is required

LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY

If you are filing as a limited liability company (LLC), you must also file:

Copy of Articles of Organization
Copy of Operating Agreement
Copy of certificate of organization executed by an officer of the State in which organized
List of members/managers, including addresses, and their percentage of interest
LLC Tax Classification Election
If organized in a different State, a certificate showing authority to operate in the State where the brewery operations will take place is required.

PARTNERSHIP

If you are filing as a partnership, you must also file:

Copy of Partnership Agreement
Copy of certificate of partnership where required to be filed by any State, county, or municipality
List of the partners, including addresses, and their percentage of ownership
If there is a verbal agreement rather than written partnership agreement, please provide a written statement to that effect signed by all partners.
All partners must sign each form sent to the NRC, unless they authorize one or more partners to sign individually by executing TTB F 5000.8 for each such authorized partner.

(This is the first section of the ttb link I posted, it has all the other links on it.)

LOL.. for Georgia.. you have to be a brewpub.. that means selling food. not only that, but you have to make 50% or more of your income from food sales.. that's on top of the federal, state, county, and city licenses. there's a reason that Georgia has very very few brewpubs.

LOL.. for Georgia.. you have to be a brewpub.. that means selling food. not only that, but you have to make 50% or more of your income from food sales.. that's on top of the federal, state, county, and city licenses. there's a reason that Georgia has very very few brewpubs.

$20 burgers with 3 free beers?

Yeah, because of this I can likely say the OP won't be able to do it. Since he described it as a "bar" and not a "restaurant/brewpub" I can only guess he doesn't or won't be able to charge enough for food to bring food up to 50% of revenue.

5seasons really did it right. GREAT food and a GREAT beer. $5 pints and avg $16 entrees mean people spend more on food and don't get hammered on pints.

Yeah, because of this I can likely say the OP won't be able to do it. Since he described it as a "bar" and not a "restaurant/brewpub" I can only guess he doesn't or won't be able to charge enough for food to bring food up to 50% of revenue.

5seasons really did it right. GREAT food and a GREAT beer. $5 pints and avg $16 entrees mean people spend more on food and don't get hammered on pints.

yep... I'd love to open a brewpub.. if it didn't have to have an insane amount in food sales. maybe one day Georgia will change it's laws and get to where other states are...

yep... I'd love to open a brewpub.. if it didn't have to have an insane amount in food sales. maybe one day Georgia will change it's laws and get to where other states are...

Yep, it definitely hinders our beer scene.

However, it is nice because I can generally trust that brewpubs will always have good food. Brewpubs that serve expensive crap for food don't survive too long in GA, or at least in Atlanta.

You can open a brewery in Georgia without having to make it a brewpub, unless laws have recently changed.

*edit...didn't realize you were referring to the OP's statement that s/he bought a bar first. They could convert the bar into a tasting/tap room and be okay with the brewing done onsite. But regardless, you're not limited to opening only a brewpub as opposed to a brewery. A bunch of work either way, I know firsthand.

You can open a brewery in Georgia without having to make it a brewpub, unless laws have recently changed.

*edit...didn't realize you were referring to the OP's statement that s/he bought a bar first. They could convert the bar into a tasting/tap room and be okay with the brewing done onsite. But regardless, you're not limited to opening only a brewpub as opposed to a brewery. A bunch of work either way, I know firsthand.

he could of course open a brewery.. however, due to the 3 tier system, he couldn't be a retailer of alcohol as well as a brewer. The original question was for being able to brew on premise with consumption on premise. to me that sounds like selling to his customers (its a bar that sells a lot of beer).

he could of course open a brewery.. however, due to the 3 tier system, he couldn't be a retailer of alcohol as well as a brewer. The original question was for being able to brew on premise with consumption on premise. to me that sounds like selling to his customers (its a bar that sells a lot of beer).

Yup, I didn't realize the context of your response until after I posted - I edited to note that.

Probably best for him to just stick with making it a really good beer bar as opposed to options A) Brewpub or B) Brewery/tap room conversion. Gain success with the beer bar and then look at your brewery options from a healthier financial standpiont.

There's a couple of breweries-to-be in Jax, FL that are opening a beer bar and eventually brewing (replacing the alcohol retail component once the brewing goes live).

Ive been looking into this a lot recently just out of curiosity and what not.

Google is your friend, I found all the info, forms, cost, and restrictions.

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/BusTax_Alcohol.aspx

The licenses will probably cost more than your brewing equipment.

PS. why is this in the all grain and partial mash forum?

And this bar sells a lot of beer. I make beer... Good beer... And it is cheap to make. How do I obtain a license to brew and consume on premise in the great state of Georgia?

Sell the bar to generate the funds to obtain the licensure, permits, and equipment.

So if you open a brewery you can't have a tasting room where you sell beer (for consumption on premise)?

Pretty sure that some home brew finds its way into bar taps without proper licensure. Would I ever do that? Not really worth the risk, but I've seen all sorts of similar events over the years. States were purchases are controlled for bars and the owners pay cash for booze outside of normal channels, etc.

Post was for informational fun purposes only.

So if you open a brewery you can't have a tasting room where you sell beer (for consumption on premise)?
There is a limit per person that can be served. Thus why at Sweetwater you only get 6 tickets and half a glass of beer per ticket and cannot purchase more tickets.

You'd be incorrect. Great food and currently represents 72% of pretax revenue.

in that case... go for it!! get the fed stuff done, buy the brewery equipment and get that brewpub open!! provided of course the Pickens county allows it. I'll have to stop by sometime.. used to live in jasper until I bought my house in 2007

You could do what the Growler did in Athens this year and work to legalize it. Approach it from a revenue perspective, convince your local state rep about the hoard of revenue it would create, and then have him slip it into the next bill and viola!

Oh wow - great question to ask BEFORE you buy a bar.
A brewpub is really TWO separate businesses - not only do they BOTH have to be successful, you have to keep their revenues in balance (51% from non-alcohol sales) - at least, that's in my state.

I've tried writing a few business plans for a brewpub, but could never get one to seem viable on paper for a few years (ie: you need LOTS of liquid capital on hand to float yourself the first few years).

Does your location in GA support craft beer?
Remember, the B/M/C drinkers are not likely to switch to craft beer.

At any rate, perhaps you've found the right model - best of luck.

Latest posts

Back