Mt Hood American Brown recipe help / review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javedian

Reaction score
Here is what I have planned for an American Brown Ale, focusing on Mt Hood. I am focusing on Mt Hood to get a good Hallertau type brew (with an American flair). I have a Saaz focused Saison and a American IPA planned, so trying to get some different hop flavors going. I do have 1oz. of Sterling available to mix things up a bit, but would like to stay single hop to fully explore its character. Yeast will be US-56. All ingredients mentioned are in my pantry. Any thoughts on this recipe?

Batch 5.50 gal

Recipe Characteristics Recipe Gravity 1.059 OG Estimated FG 1.015 FG
Recipe Bitterness 35 IBU Alcohol by Volume 5.9%
Recipe Color 20° SRM Alcohol by Weight 4.6%

Ingredients Quantity Grain Use
5.50 lb Amber D.M.E. extract
1.00 lb American wheat mashed
0.50 lb American chocolate malt mashed
0.50 lb Crystal 90L mashed
0.50 lb American victory mashed
0.50 lb American two-row mashed
Quantity Hop Form Time
1.50 oz Mt. Hood pellet 60 minutes
1.00 oz Mt. Hood pellet 30 minutes
0.75 oz Mt. Hood pellet 15 minutes
0.75 oz Mt. Hood pellet 0 minutes

for those grains do you mean mashed or steeped? I dont think you got enuff enzymes there to mash . . .

If I'm wrong someone please correct me, it's late and I'm tired.
BTW other then the mashed/steep think looks good to me

This is a mini-mash. The wheat will self convert, crystal and chocolate don't need to. As far as Victory, not sure, that is why I added the 1/2lb of 2-row. I can bump that up to 1lb. Any thoughts?

Victory doesn't self-convert. I would be strongly inclined to boost the 2-row to a pound or 1.5 Although Chocolate and C90L don't need to be mashed, you will get more out of them if you have enough 2-row. Also, wheat malt is sticky stuff & the extra husks can't hurt.

A lot of hops for a Brown, but that isn't a bad thing. Mono-hop ales can be interesting and very educational.

Back