Grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subabrew

Reaction score
Ok I have a noob question :D. What is the differance between specialty graings and regular brewing grains? What are the uses of each? I am trying to get a better understanding of all grain brewing even though I am not at that level yet :eek:. Thanks guys!

I agree that reading is your long term best bet, but in the short term, specialty grains are grains that are processed for special use in brewing. They are carmelized, roasted, toasted and burnt. These specialty grains then are used as additions to the base malt to create different styles. Pale ale will be made with roughly 90% base malt and 10% crystal/caramel malt, stout with 90% base malt and 10% of some combination of roasted, burnt, toasted and caramelized grains. These are just examples and don't truely reflect the percentages, but the point is that most beer's grain bill is mostly base malt, with a smaller percentage of specialty malts.

Thanks brewpastor that awnsered my question. Thats what I thought I just wanted to make sure.

I am in the process of reading how to brew and am learning alot, I must have missed that part or have not gotten there yet. thanks again!

:off: Quick hijack: Brewpastor--good to know I'm not the only pastor brewing on this board! I'm new, so forgive me for not noticing before (I see you're a moderator).

As I am poised at my desk to work on this Sunday's sermon, I find my thoughts turning to things zymurgic. Ever have that problem?

Back to your regularly-scheduled topic.

Back