fermenter size vs batch size.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Special Hops

Reaction score
What is the general thinking behind batch size vs. fermenter size to leave enough head space for the Krausen (sp?)

After a long break from brewing because of being out of town. I am looking to get back into it this weekend. I have recently upgrade my boil kettle to a 15.5 gallon keggle and am using 7.75 gal pony keg as a fermenter.

Due to probably more limited brewing time due to a little 20 month old running around, I am looking to maximize my batch size to make the most out of a brew session.

Could I reasonably ferment 7 gallons in a 7.75 gallon fermenter without having to worry too much about the airlock overflowing ? Realizing it all depends on yeast and style of beer too.

You answered your own question "Realizing it all depends on yeast and style of beer too."

Some people use Fermencap to keep the Krausen down. I don't but it is an option. I'd look to get a second fermenter ($25 for a 6 gallon better bottle) and split a 10 gallon batch between the two.

You could ferment in a 15.5 gal sanke keg. I ferment 12.5 gallons in mine and have never needed a blow-off tube.

If you plan on a 7gal batch with only 3/4gal of headspace I'd definitely invest in some fermcap and a blow off tube.

Thanks for the responses - will probably either do a blow-off tube or do a 10 gal split batch.

I was interested in the same question.

Have a Sanke fermenter (hence the user name) and can brew 15 gal of wort or less. I had already planned on the blow off tube. Don't want to use fermcap. I have heard everyone here that uses a keg fermenter say they only brew <~13 gal in them.

Would it be stylistically or otherwise detrimental to a healthily pitched beer to ferment 15 gallons in a 15.5 gal fermenter thereby not letting the krausen fall back into the beer? How little headroom is too little? Anyone actually try this and can attest?

Due to probably more limited brewing time due to a little 20 month old running around, I am looking to maximize my batch size to make the most out of a brew session.

Have you considered fermenting right in your 15 gal keggle that you boil in?

I know, sounds crazy, but it is done w/ good results and saves time and effort.

I believe Lonnie of the "Brutus 10'" does this, as do I. Of course, YMMV.

How would you seal the top?

Cover it with sanitized foil or your pot lid or even a piece of plexiglass, no need for an airtight seal.

You could also do something like this...
17677.jpg

IIRC Lonnie cleans his Mash Tun and pumps his wort from BK into it for fermenting. A little bit different I think?

I have also fermented in my 20 gallon brew pot (extract Brewing). No need to seal it just keep it covered to prevent contamination. The co2 layer will prevent oxidation. About 12 gallons max in a keggle otherwise you will have a mess. Chill the wort right back into the Keggle.:mug:

A mess? Unless you have the blowoff going into a corny keg, for instance? That's what I would like to do. Why couldn't I ferment 14.5 gal in a keg with adequate blowoff destination volume?

What is the general thinking behind batch size vs. fermenter size to leave enough head space for the Krausen (sp?)

After a long break from brewing because of being out of town. I am looking to get back into it this weekend. I have recently upgrade my boil kettle to a 15.5 gallon keggle and am using 7.75 gal pony keg as a fermenter.

Could I reasonably ferment 7 gallons in a 7.75 gallon fermenter without having to worry too much about the airlock overflowing ? Realizing it all depends on yeast and style of beer too.

I think you sure could do that, no problem. Just ferment longer and on the cool side. I recently did a 1.090 barley wine, 6 gallons of it, in a 6.5 gallon bucket...I had zero problems....I fermented at 60 degrees for 1.5 weeks and ended at 1.020 with nottingham. Perfecto

A mess? Unless you have the blowoff going into a corny keg, for instance? That's what I would like to do. Why couldn't I ferment 14.5 gal in a keg with adequate blowoff destination volume?
You can ferment 14.5 gallons in a keg, but without a sealed lid your blow off destination will be down the sides of the keg

Decided to go with a split batch. Brewed up12gallons and put 6in each of 2 pony kegs. This will restock my homebrew pipeline.

My uncle used to ferment in a 30 gallon green plastic garbage can, covered with cheesecloth.

Cover it with sanitized foil or your pot lid or even a piece of plexiglass, no need for an airtight seal.

You could also do something like this...
17677.jpg

Any chance on getting the specs for this? I want to do something similar.

Back