Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer3

Reaction score
First time dry hopping and I got a question. I added a 1/2 ounce dry hop to the secondary a week ago. It looks like it's time to bottle this weekend but the disinagrated hop pellets are just floating there. Well some of it is sinking into the beer. Do I wait? Will it all settle to the bottom? Or do I just rack it the best I can? I had a dry hopped IPA the other day, store bought, that had bits of hop floating in it So is this normal? Help please. Thanks

They sink after a while. I usually give mine two weeks of dry hopping. Just try to avoid the hops as best as possible. The little plastic things on the end of the racking canes will strain out some, but some pellet material will get through. I find that the remaining hop material gets trapped in the spring of my bottling wand, so nothing really gets into the bottle. A few stray pellets won't hurt a thing.

I appreciate the advice, This is a Fullers ESB clone and it tasted really nice when it went into the secondary and I don't want to F#### it up. Thanks again!

Dry hopping can't really screw it up. Dry hops only add aroma. They won't affect the flavor profile, unless you leave them in there for months.

I'd give it another week.

BTW, I've only dry hopped with whole hops, and I've found that a nylon bag tied around the racking cane avoids clogging and transferring hops to the keg. Is any such filtering, etc needed on transfer when dry hopping with pellets?

nosnhojr said:
I've found that a nylon bag tied around the racking cane avoids clogging and transferring hops to the keg.
That should be a fine method for pellets as well.

Back