Bohemian Pilz, mash schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefeater

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm putting together a recipe based on this article:
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue5.3/urquell.html

It mentions a mash schedule like this:

Mash in at 95°F for acid rest at 1.85l/kg (0.89qt/lb)
Decoct to 127°F for protein rest
Decoct to 143°F for starch conversion
Decoct to 163°F for mash-out

I'll skip the acid rest and mash in directly for the protein rest making it a double decoction mash instead of a triple.
But my concern here is the extremely thick mash.. I'd be inclined to double the amount of water. Why would I want to keep the mash as thick as in the article?

You could add a little more water if you like but typically decoction mashes are done on the thick side. I would also consider raising the rest temps a bit, perhaps using 55C/131F; 55C/149F and 76C/169F for mashout.

Thank you for your suggestions, I think I might go for a very thick mash just to see what happens. It will allow for lots of sparge water and maybe better efficiency too? I did a couple of decocted lagers last winter, but those mashes were really thin, per some advise I found on the net, and the beers were great that way too.

Will read a bit more on temperatures. The low (72C) mashout is so low that it will probably be some conversion going on. What about keeping the 72 step and use the first sparge-water infusion (I batch sparge) to achieve mashout temperatures?

Will read a bit more on temperatures. The low (72C) mashout is so low that it will probably be some conversion going on. What about keeping the 72 step and use the first sparge-water infusion (I batch sparge) to achieve mashout temperatures?

That would work I'm sure. Re mash thickness ratio I use 1qt:1lb (2L:1Kg). Bear in mind that decoction mashes will thin out some as the process continues. That mashing schedule in the old BT article is probably based on Urquell's traditional mash profile. This would have been for malt far less modified than what is available currently. That was why I suggested the simplified schedule with higher temperatures. Good luck with the beer, a PU style brew is a thing of beauty and a lot of fun to brew at home. :mug:

Be sure to replace the water lost from boil off during the decoction boils, otherwise it will get too thick.

Thanks again for the input!

I'm brewing this tomorrow, and I think I will go for a little thinner mash and higher temps. 149 (65C) is what I usually mash at with single infusions. Could probably have done a single infusion here too, but I want to try to brew this classic beer in a classic way because it's fun!

Just brought this baby to a boil;

4.5kg Pilsener malt
21 liter batch, boil two hours
25g Saaz 120 min (FWH)
40g Saaz 80 min
40g Saaz 25 min
WLP 800

Got 87% efficiency so I'll overshoot the OG somewhat. Just a bonus!

Planned on a 55, 65, 72 and 76 degree C combination decoction and infusion mash.
Beersmith is not good at calculating decoctions (or I'm missing something..). I remembered this from a previous attempt and drew larger than calculated decoctions. Still I missed temperatures on the low side.Had to make some extra quick decoctions, so my actual schedule became like 55, 59, 64, 66, 68, 72, 76...
If this isn't handmade beer I don't know what qualifies:p
It's a fun process, recommend it to anyone who can take the time:mug:

Back