Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwedel

Reaction score
I brewed a Pilsner last week. I pitched the yeast (Wyeast Y2278) at 70 F then put it into the cooler set at 55 F.

After the fact I read somewhere that with a Lager you should pitch the yeast at 70 and let it sit for 48 hours then move it to the chiller. Will my beer have off flavors with the method I used? Or will it take longer to finish fermenting?

Jwedel said:
I brewed a Plisner last week. I pitched the yeast (Wyeast Y2278) at 70 F then put it into the cooler set at 55 F.

After the fact I read somewhere that with a Lager you should pitch the yeast at 70 and let it sit for 48 hours then move it to the chiller. Will my beer have off flavors with the method I used? Or will it take longer to finish fermenting?
From my meager amount of experience, and from what I've read you should only have a longer fermentation and no off flavors. Just my 2 cents.

Well, I dont know about 2 days but you should certainly allow the yeast to start at 70ish, get going and then lower the temps.

I have had issues trying to get it to not only start but also finish when it was in the 50's.

Just my 2 pennies mind you but I have brewed literally 50 Pils/Lagers and this is the method I use.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

knewshound

There is a thin layer of Krausen, just enough so you can’t see through it, on the top of the brew. Should I stir it and raise the temp to see if the Krausen gets thicker?

Or should I just leave it alone and let it work. I brewed on 10/14/2006.

You are supposed to pitch at fermenting temps not at 70 degrees. Lager yeast ferments around 55, if you pitch at 70 and let it sit for a couple days most of the fermenting will be done before you lower it to the correct temp which will give you off flavors.

I always wait until the wort is at the correct temp before pitching even if it means waiting an extra day.

I agree with Monster Mash. Best to pitch at fermentation temps and let nature take her course in order to avoid potential esters from the higher fermentation temp. Diacetyl rest is a notable exception. OTOH, what you did is fine and I would just let fermentation carry on...lager fermentations go much slower than ale fermentations (given that they're at the correct temp).

I agree with MM also.

If you start at 70f then you run the risk of fusel alcohol
and esters being produced at the respiration cycle of
the yeast. This will allow carryover of flavors into the
lager.
A diacetyl rest is only needed if you are getting diacetyl
produced in the primary ferment and the higher temps
needed for the rest only helps as the primary is for
the most part, finished, and the higher yeast activity
just cleans up the primary.

Some say it don't matter and they don't get any funky
tastes from their lagers, but, why take the chance.

Another question about the Lager I have in the Primary. How long should I leave it in the primary? I brewed on Oct. 14 and this Sat. will be 14 days. Should I rack on Sat.?

Wait until it has finished fermentation - leaving it longer won't hurt either.

Just as an addition to what the other guys are saying about pitching at low temperatures - make sure your yeast starter is at the same, or lower, temperature than your wort when pitching (not necesserily while fermenting the starter).

With regard to the method you used - this is exactly what I do whenever I make a lager and it turns out great.

Jwedel said:
Another question about the Lager I have in the Primary. How long should I leave it in the primary? I brewed on Oct. 14 and this Sat. will be 14 days. Should I rack on Sat.?
Are you planning to do a diacetyl rest? If so, I would pull it at 1018-1020 SG and let it hit FG before racking. Otherwise, I'd leave it in the primary at the current temp until it hits FG and then rack.

I must disagree with the pitching temp of the lager.

I have read many times that you are to pitch at 68 ish and let it set for a day and then bring it down to 50ish for the remainder of the primary fermentation. after this is over you transfer to a secondary and let sit around 37ish for about a month or two.

If you let the beer ferment out in the upper 60s using the lager yeast you are creating a steam beer if im not mistaken or a california common. I think those are the same.

Anyway, i will let you know how mine turns out in about a month and a half. I will transfering to a secondary this sunday and dropping the temp to the mid to upper 30s.

Reverend

I have kicked off the fermentation process of my lagers close to room temps for a day before dropping down to traditonal lager ranges and others straight to it. I have read there is no harm in kicking in at warming temps and so far have to agree. Even with no ill effects, I apply on an as needed basis. To start fermentation at a low temp., a good yeast count is needed. My starters max out at 1liter and have sluggish results after pitching with lagers going straight to a 55 degree fermentation. I then opt to start at the warmer temps to avoid an extended lag time. If I harvest yeast from a previous batch, there is enough yeast to kick in at 55 degrees. I prefer to limit lag time and sort the rest from there.

I personally do not think it matters much. I've pitched and started fermentation at room temps with little problem. I've also started fermentation at the 50's mark with no problems.

I do agree that a starter is a must. I did a lager where it took a week for fermentation to start at target fermentation temps, and that was with pitching of 2 separate smack packs.

Remember that yeast is in an aerobic stage early on, and I think ester production is a minimum, even when pitched and started at room temps.

There was a thread on this some while back that got very heated and ended with a bit of name calling and had to be locked. (where's dougjones when you need him?)

I'm glad this one is not degenerating into that.

Cheers all. :)

Back