affordable bottling and extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdude412

Reaction score
I'm trying to get started on a college budget, since this is my first go at things i was wondering if anyone knows of a good site, store or anything that might be useful?

First off welcome to HBT. A little more info would be good. If you're looking for low budget kits I would suggest austin home brew or midwest. If You have a lhbs near you check that out. Bottles are cheap to find, check your local bars, or ask friends and family to save their bottles. I started off with a bottling bucket, ale pail, plastic spoon, bottling wand, thermometor and a syphon. Good luck!

Also being in collage you should have no problems collecting empty beer bottles and shouldn't ever really need to buy bottles. Just make sure they are the Pry off and not the twist off.

+1 for craigslist. Also, I'd recommend asking some of your family... I know a whole bunch of relatives who had fermentation odds and ends when I got started with mead. Thankfully, the basics -- what you absolutely need -- are ingredients, 1 pot, 1 fermentation chamber, bottles (see above), 1 way of getting the wort/beer from pot to fermentation chamber to bottle. Everything else is added value, but not absolutely necessary. I do recommend a hydrometer, bleach, Star-San, and a half-decent kitchen scale, but those can be gotten on the fly, as you get more funds.

Back