Major screwup in brew water adjustment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kincade

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I did the DFH head 60 minute IPA clone and am ready to rack it into secondary. However, I just had a terrible discovery that in my haste to brew the beer I used calcium carbonate and baking soda to raise the mash PH instead of calcium sulfate/calcium chloride to lower the mash PH (I just looked at the calcium content). I adjust because i brew with RO water.

The mash PH didn't SEEM too far off (appeared to be around 5.4 with my PH strips). But clearly I screwed the pooch on this one. Can anyone tell me what the end result may be to the beer? It's done now and I can't do anything about it; but it was an expensive beer to brew and it makes me a bit sick to know I screwed it up so badly.

TIA for any help you can give!

Even with the minerals in there that should not have been? I know I probably won't get the 'pop' from the hops that the gypsum additions give, but I'm not sure what else to expect?

IMHO, I think you're splitting hairs. I played with mineral adjustments for a while, and quite honestly could never tell the difference. That was WAY back in the day and there were likely other factors, but to my palette it never made a difference.

Important part it pH, which is covered. If you were brewing a pilsener with porter water (very hard instead of very soft) then you're looking at more of a potential for noticing something being "off".

RDWHAHB.

Thanks guys, just curious if I were going to have a problem! I'll let you know how it tastes!

Back