Newby Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
Ok, after the airlock isnt bubbling anymore I still leave the brew in that fermenter. I've gathered that from the input I have received on here. Do I leave the airlock in the fermenter over the remaining time perirod till its ready to put in the bottling fermenter/bucket? I probably have most of those terms wrong, but Im still learning. :)

just let her sit...no reason to remove the airlock and expose the brew to outside air when it has a nice buffer of co2 keeping it fresh in there.

Leave the airlock in. It helps vent excess gas (even if you don't see it bubbling). You will know when fermentation is done, not by the airlock, but by your hydrometer readings. Once fermentation is done, leave it in the primary even longer. Yeast make byproducts and they need time to clean up their mess.

I'll let the more experienced brewers discuss more of the specifics. My info is not based on experience, but from reading advice here.

Yes, the airlock is there solely to keep outside bugs where they belong, outside of your beer. I personally like to do 2 weeks in the primary fermenter and 2 weeks in a secondary. Just FYI a bottling bucket is strictly for the use of when you're bottling. I wouldnt recommend it as a fermenter.

Just to clarify on the timeframe I use: I use that on smaller beers that dont need excessive aging. My Schwarzbier (lager) has been in a fermenter for the last monthish and will remain so for another few weeks or so.

Appreciate all the input. Since I dont have a secondary fermenter do you think its ok to leave it in the primary or should I look into getting another? And if I do should I go for the glass carboy? Right now I only have the two plastic buckets that came with the kit.

I always leave my brew in the fermenter for 21 days without disturbing it AT ALL. The exception is for dry-hopping or something where a secondary is helpful...otherwise just let it be because the secondary is not always necessary.

I use a glass carboy for my primary because it helps me to leave it alone if I can actually see what's going on inside. Glass is not the only way to go..your bucket is just fine. If you do decide to go with a glass carboy, make sure you use something like a milk-crate with handles to transport it...full carboys are heavy and often slippery and can cause injury. If you take the proper precautions you'll be fine.

-Tripod

Great read. This is the info i was looking for. I really appreciate it. IM not expecting any miracles with this first brew but I want to do what I can to make it as good as possible. Loving this site. Ill be paying for a membership very shortly. Thanks again..

Thanks Tripod. I think Im going to go with glass eventually. But maybe after a few trial runs with the buckets.

Glad to help!

I love my glass...but I did a ton of research before purchasing. Look around on the threads and you'll see a lot of pros vs. cons on glass and plastic. If you do your research and learn from others' mistakes you'll be way ahead of the game. Glass is not a problem if you are cautious...its the things you CAN'T controll that you have to look out for - like the dog running through the kitchen when the door-bell rings!

-Tripod

Latest posts

Back