Austin Homebrew Supply AHS Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanInMadison

Reaction score
I brewed the mini-mash kit in March and had my first taste this week.

It easily the best beer I've brewed.

I'm an Oktoberfest beer lover, so I may be biased. This beats any beer I've purchased from bars and stores in months.

There's no way this batch will come close to lasting until October. I might have to make 2 more batches July 4th weekend.

I was looking at purchasing another Brewer's Best kit from LHBS. After this beer, I'll be buying from AHS.

Forrest, thanks for this great kit.

Dan

I saw a kit in the store for an Oktoberfest Ale. I thought it was a misprint but it had ale yeast in it.

I always call ale based Oktoberfests 'Mocktoberfests' since you can't truely replicate the style without lagering it properly.

I like the mocktoberfest I made last year with Wyeast 2565 kolsch yeast (since its pretty clean fermenting).

I always call ale based Oktoberfests 'Mocktoberfests' since you can't truely replicate the style without lagering it properly.

But cant you still lager an ale to clean up the flavor profile?

As far as I know this kit is a true lagered Oktoberfest. I just purchased this kit myself from AHS and it shipped with WLP820 lager yeast. I've already got the starter cooking.

I'm certainly planning to lager it :) And I'm *very* happy to hear how Dan's came out.

Hey Dan, could you share your fermentation/lagering schedule? Did you make a big starter?

-Joe

I did a Mocktoberfest last year with a Kolsch ale yeast, and it was one of my favorites. I'm getting ready to start another batch, but this time I'm using the real Oktoberfest/Marzen lager yeast. Going to start propagating a huge starter this weekend.

Going to start propagating a huge starter this weekend.
I'm up to 2 quarts so far. I just checked my growler and there's a good inch of yeast on the bottom. I may add another quart of wort tomorrow then let it ferment until I brew on Sunday, crash cooling it several hours in the morning and pouring off most of the wort.

-Joe

But cant you still lager an ale to clean up the flavor profile?

you can cold age an ale (a.k.a. lager it) but using ale yeast still produces a beer with more 'character' than if you used a lager strain, and fermented at lager temps.

Most ale yeasts poop out at primary temps for a lager (45-50F). Some ale yeast can do ok in the mid 50's though..but its still not gonna quite give you that lager quality.

I did a Mocktoberfest last year with a Kolsch ale yeast, and it was one of my favorites. I'm getting ready to start another batch, but this time I'm using the real Oktoberfest/Marzen lager yeast. Going to start propagating a huge starter this weekend.

Can you take a traditional Marzen recipe and substitute Kolsch yeast and produce a similar beer? I don't have lager equipment, but love the Oktoberfest beer.

Eric

Our Oktoberfest kit turns out fine using White Labs Oktoberfest Lager yeast at room temperature.

If you are making a lager but can only ferment at room temperature, use the lager yeast anyway. It will taste closer to the way the beer is supposed to taste than using an ale yeast.

Forrest

The Kolsch yeast is an ale yeast, but the character is said to be cleaner than other ales, and more like a lager in taste. It isn't exactly the same, but it turns out pretty tasty.

Joe,

That's the same kit I brewed.
I had the mini-mash kit, plus alcohol boost, with the Wyeast Oktoberfest yeast.

I don't have my notes in front of me, but I'll give my best summary.

I did make a starter. (After an earlier experience, the great people on the boards convinced me to make a starter from that point on)

Basically, I followed the recipe's instructions.

I pitched the yeast at at 68 degrees and let it sit until I could see fermentation. (1 day)
Moved it to the fridge and slowly (2 days) lowered the temps to 50 degrees.

My fridge doesn't have a temp control for 50 degrees, so I adjusted my temps every 8 hours. (Primary temps ranged from 48-52). I know it's not ideal, but I took the RDWHAHB approach.

Fermented for 2 weeks.
Let the temps rise to room temp 68 degrees for 2 days. I think the instructions said this was for flavoring.

Transferred to secondary. Put it back in the fridge and slowly (3 days) lowered it to 40 degrees.
Then, I let it sit for 4 weeks.
Then, I bottled (and carbonated).

Dan

Thanks Dan! I'm posting my progress here in this thread.

I pitched my starter into 60F degree wort then brought the temp in my fridge down to 50F over the next 8 hours. So the wort itself will have cooled more slowly.

2 days later I've got a beautiful fluffy kraeusen and bubbles every 1-2 seconds in the blowoff jar.

My plan is to primary at 50-55F until my gravity is over halfway to the FG specified in the kit, then raise to 65F until close to/at the FG. Then to a secondary and drop the temp in my fermenter cabinet slowly to 35F. Then move it to a spare fridge (so I can start another ale or two) on its coldest setting (close to freezing) for 8 weeks.

-Joe

Our Oktoberfest kit turns out fine using White Labs Oktoberfest Lager yeast at room temperature.

If you are making a lager but can only ferment at room temperature, use the lager yeast anyway. It will taste closer to the way the beer is supposed to taste than using an ale yeast.

Forrest

WHat about substituting a Steam beer yeast? I've always been told that was the best to use to get the "lager" cleaness with warmer temps.

-Todd

WHat about substituting a Steam beer yeast? I've always been told that was the best to use to get the "lager" cleaness with warmer temps.

-Todd

Yes, you can use Steam beer yeast but you will miss some of the flavors. Oktoberfest is malty. Steam beer is not.

Yes, you can use Steam beer yeast but you will miss some of the flavors. Oktoberfest is malty. Steam beer is not.

Forrest,
I think that this will be my next recipe. I can get carboys down to sixty degrees, but that is the lowest. Would I be better off fermenting at sixty or room temperature (78 degrees in my apartment)? Also, would you recommend a starter? Also, how much longer of a fermentation and conditioning period am I looking at (trying to time the beer being ready with the season)?

Eric

hey man. i'm about to brew the all-grain oktoberfest kit from you guys. it just says 10.75lb base grain and 1lb specialty grain. can you give the the actual grain bill so i can plug it in to beersmith plz? :mug:

Latest posts

Back