Tried 1 Bottle after 1 Week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
It was frreaaaakkkinnnn delicious! Obviously it could have been more carbed, but I said to myself...I would actually pay $ for a beer like this. This is my 1st homebrew...True Brew Wheat Kit...call me crazy but it tasted more like an IPA. But hey...I frreeeaaakkkiinnn love IPAs. I dont know how it happened...I may have boiled it longer than the directions called for...and I dumped the spent hop pellets right in the bucket w/ the brew (no straining). Maybe that made it more bitter? My biggest problem will be restraining myself from the 47 bottles over the remaining 2 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Glad you like it. It will get better and more carbed after 2 more weeks. The longer you boil the more bitterness you extract from the hops. The spent pellets might have an effect too.

My second homebrew was a Wheat too, it was really hoppy for a while, but eventually smoothed out to be very refreshing and much more to style. I just found a couple in my basement that I had forgotten about (now 1.5 years old) and they are fantastic! :) Try to hide a few away for a couple months and compare them then (if you don't drink them all first).

Keep your hands away from the young brew! Lol, its hard to keep patient. And come to mention it, my first brew (a Bavarian Wheat) tasted very hoppy at bottling but mellowed out perfectly in about 2.5 weeks.

My friend, many congrats on your first brew success! I bottled my first batch not to long ago. Welcome to the addiction!

One word of advice... get another batch or two going!! That first batch goes away so fast! I got roughly 48 bottles from my first batch and I'm already starting to get low. Also set aside a couple of those bottles for a good 6 month age. It'll be wonderful with a little bit of age bro just wait and see.

Congrats again my friend,it'll only get better from now. :mug:

My advice...get to work on the next brew...I tried my 1st brew, had the same reaction you did...and waited 3 weeks to drink them...they were gone pretty quick, then I had to go 6 wks store bought...don't let that happen to you!

The best advice that I received was this:

The day you bottle: drive to the store and buy two cases of Sam Adams.

Not only will this help keep your hands off of your homebrew, you end up with 48 empty bottles to use.

I'm sorry, but a laughed myself silly over this. Only because it brought back sweet memories though! I don't think I will ever learn the patience thing. Congrats!! But try and save ONE bottle until it's ready! ;) You need to age at least one bottle properly so that you can guage future results. It's hard, i know! :)

BREW ANOTHER BATCH!!! QUICKLY!!!!!!!! you're gonna drink this one way to fast. (and who could blame you) So start brewing another so you can forget about the other. You'll thank me later. and CONGRATS on the brew! :mug

Latest posts

Back