yeast pitching temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mots

Reaction score
so, i'm fairly certain at this point that while in a hurry to finish cooling, i misread the temp and pitched at well above 100 degrees....has this killed my yeast (Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast) OR will it eventually ferment correctly while producing "off" flavors?? if my yeast was killed, can i just add a new yeast package??

Just a noob here myself, but from what I've always heard with (baking yeast anyways) anything much over 105 F. will scald the yeast.

I would think it would be fine to re-pitch, the first packet will just act as nutrient for the second pack.

I have pitched at 100F and ended up with some Sour Apple flavors that eventually conditioned out.

If you pitched over 120F, you are definitely screwed.

well, it's bubbling away this morning, so time will tell on the taste

my concern started when 3 hours after pitching, the sticky thermometer was still reading the top temp (78)...i assumed that it was much higher and just reading the highest...with my immersion chiller, i got down to 70 in 15 mins...in hindsight that seems pretty optimistic as my previous time was just over 30 mins...i did have way more ice on hand, but perhaps i had my thermometer too close to the copper tubing and thus getting a premature low-temp reading...anyway, yeast certainly is active and i'll find out soon what effects this all had

so, revisiting this batch....8 days in primary and in secondary since 12/2...took a sample today and it was 1.016...OG was 1.030....on the advice from home brew shop, gave it a shake to stir up any sleeping yeast...sample tasted "fine", but still not sure...what would it taste like if it didn't ferment enough?? does a drop in gravity from 1.030 to 1.016 mean that fermentation is complete and went properly? most likely be bottling in a few days if reading doesn't change

It might have stalled out. Assuming 75% attenuation, it should bottom out around 1.008.

You might want to rocket it a little bit to see if you can get it restarted.

Its okay, we've all been there.

Beer yeasts typically will have 75% attenuation. That means they will convert about 75% of the fermentable sugar in your wort to alcohol. There is some variability, some will do as little as 69% and some will do as much as 78%. Then if you have unfermentables, like Carapils, will reduce your apparent attenuation.

Anyway, to check where your specific gravity should end up, you take the part after the decimal, multipy by 0.25, and put it back behind the decimal.

In your case,
O.G. = 1.030
30 * 0.25 = 7.5
Approximate F.G. = 1.008

So unless you used a lot of unfermentables in your beer, you either under attenuated because of your high pitching temperature or your fermentation stuck.

If it is stuck you, first try rocking your carboy to resuspend some of the yeast and get it starting again. I had a stout that stalled out and I had to do this for almost a week to get it to finish.

If that doesn't work, you can try racking to a secondary and drawing some of the yeast off the bottom of the primary while siphoning. Sometimes that is enough to get the fermentation going again.

If that doesn't work, you can try repitching fresh yeast.

If that doesn't work, then maybe it just under attenuated. In that case, you bottle and pray you don't get bombs.

Back