First brew made on Sunday! Awesome hobby!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after a month waiting for the second fermentation to be over, we finally bottled our first batch! (Thanks to our sucky weekend schedules we had to wait but I think it helped out in the long run.) Finished up with around 4 gallons of brew

24-12OZ
8-22OZ

Final gravity of 1.013

With the taste of our first home brew (all grain) it was a lot better than we expected! No off flavors at all. Pretty dang strong I will have to say but hey it's a Imperial IPA so we knew/wanted that to begin with! Well gotta wait 3 weeks for carbonation and we really get to see what we have! Can't wait!

image-3454308863.jpg

At three weeks, a beer that big may not be ready to drink. I mean you can drink it, but if you wait another month, the results will be positively amazing. I recognize your wanting to start drinking it as soon as possible... Here's an idea: brew a small beer, and you won't have to wait months to drink it. If space/funds are available, starting a new beer every two weeks or so will eventually leave something to drink while the next one is conditioning.

MindenMan said:
At three weeks, a beer that big may not be ready to drink. I mean you can drink it, but if you wait another month, the results will be positively amazing. I recognize your wanting to start drinking it as soon as possible... Here's an idea: brew a small beer, and you won't have to wait months to drink it. If space/funds are available, starting a new beer every two weeks or so will eventually leave something to drink while the next one is conditioning.

I was going off what I read in "How to brew" but I didn't think about it when it came to our beer being so big... We can wait another 4 weeks..

We are doing a ESB next week so yes we won't have to wait to long....

Thanks for the heads up I didn't think about that... Anyone else think we should wait? If so it's not a big deal

From experience I can speak of a Taddy Porter clone I brewed back in June of this year. At one month, it was nice. At two months, it was a lot better. I stashed 4 or 5 bottles and forgot them. Move forward a week ago; I found the stashed bottles and O M Gawd, I was absolutely floored. My wife was just as amazed as I was, partly because how good it was, and partly due to the fact I made it. In 1-1/2 years of brewing at that particular time, I really hadn't felt I had hit any home runs in my home brewing. I now have another batch of the same recipe Taddy Porter Clone bottled. I hope I did at least the same.

MindenMan said:
From experience I can speak of a Taddy Porter clone I brewed back in June of this year. At one month, it was nice. At two months, it was a lot better. I stashed 4 or 5 bottles and forgot them. Move forward a week ago; I found the stashed bottles and O M Gawd, I was absolutely floored. My wife was just as amazed as I was, partly because how good it was, and partly due to the fact I made it. In 1-1/2 years of brewing at that particular time, I really hadn't felt I had hit any home runs in my home brewing. I now have another batch of the same recipe Taddy Porter Clone bottled. I hope I did at least the same.

Ok thanks man. I will most likely wait until this time next month.... It's going to be a long wait but worth it!

Good on you! Welcome to this addictive hobby! Once you get a pipeline of brewing going you'll always be able to grab and enjoy one of your brews.

Anyone else think we should wait? If so it's not a big deal

mark me down in the "do not wait" column. Drink your first one at 2 weeks, if it's clearly not ready, drink your next one at 3 weeks. If it's still not ready drink another one at week 4. You don't want to let that hoppiness fade. When it's ready, drink the hell out of it. It's a DIPA, so it's not going to get any better, hop-wise.

Besides, you want to see for yourself how the beer changes over time, right? Don't take our word for it. You gotta experience it on your own.

ICWiener said:
mark me down in the "do not wait" column. Drink your first one at 2 weeks, if it's clearly not ready, drink your next one at 3 weeks. If it's still not ready drink another one at week 4. You don't want to let that hoppiness fade. When it's ready, drink the hell out of it. It's a DIPA, so it's not going to get any better, hop-wise.

Yeah we broke it down last night while we were looking over the ESB.... Drink one at 2 weeks and so on... Like you said in the last post, only way we are going to tell that it's changing taste. Plus I want to be able to tell the taste of our changing beer. Thanks again!

After 3 weeks my first taste.... Smells like a Imperial IPA... No off flavors from the high fermentation temps.... Not as hoppy as we wanted.... But for our first brew it's a damn good drinkable beer!!!! I'm a fan!

image-394237677.jpg

Back