Impending doom or normal blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
This is my first time attempting a blow-off of this type. I've done large blow-offs from carboys, but never attached a 5/16 hose to a 3-piece air lock.

I pitched this beer last night. A 6 gallon batch. With such little head space, I figured better safe than sorry. The hose is going down into a vase half filled with Starsan.

I checked on it this morning and it didn't seem to be blowing bubbles in the Starsan, but the lid was all swollen. With light pressure I relieved the swelling and the vase bubbled like crazy.

Is there any reason to think this blow-off configuration is inadequate? Is the lid going to pop off and ruin my beer (and floors)?

RvH8trr.jpg

You didn't mention it so I'm assuming after relieving some pressure the bubbles didnt continue in the vase? Are you sure its not leaking where its connected at the airlock?

I didn't see any bubbling in the vase after I stopped applying pressure. I don't think there's a leak. It's in there pretty good, plus if it was leaking, would the lid swell? The whole thing seems to defy what little physics knowledge I have.

I'm thinking maybe I should pull that bung out and put a 3-piece in there in addition to the blow off.

Sounds to me like the airlock stem got plugged. you releived it when pressing on the lid. Try cutting off the "X" tapered part of the airlock stem off. some say this helps releive the problem. Might try it with the dremel myself.

Some of my airlocks are not wide open on the inlet - they have 4 small holes instead of a single big one. Those can get blocked by krausen blow. I just remove the airlock and insert the flex hose in the lid grommet.

The lid should not be showing pressure. It is likely clogging.

That airlock actually didn't have an "x". I checked for that before I installed it. Also, looking down into it, it seems clear. I just popped a 3-piece in where that bung was. If the 2 don't relieve the pressure I'll be totally confused.

I would expect that if you have a blow off the three piece airlock is likely to at least fill or maybe overflow. I would check the blow off assembly by pulling it out and blowing through it. If there is no resistance it should be ok without the second airlock.

The 3 piece is going nuts and the krausen has gotten to the bottom of it, but not into it yet. The blow-off airlock is definitely clear... and the lid is still swelling. I don't get it.

I noticed your blowoff airlock is pushed all the way to it's base. that puts it 2 inches closer to the krausen and makes it easier to clog. You only need to push it in far enough that it wont fall out and it seals. Mine are never inserted more than 1/2 inch (just past the taper).

That one is in a 1" bung, that's why it's so far down. And - yep. The 3-piece got filled, the other clogged and the lid was all swollen this morning. I removed the 3-piece, inserted the tube directly into the bunghole (teeheehee... I'm not mature enough for that word), cleaned everything up and upgraded to a gallon water jug 1/3 filled with Starsan.

Everything seems to be functioning properly now... goop running down the lines then the occasional long burst of bubbles in the jug.

The lid is obviously swelling with the krausen as well as the CO2, but as long as it's at it's peak, I don't think I need to worry about it popping off with both blow-offs working.

I'll keep a close eye on it.

Latest posts

Back