Boring red ale, add oak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger_M

Reaction score
I have a brewers best red ale thats 2 weeks in primary today. It had reached FG and is begining to clear up. I tried the hydrometer sample and its boring, not much going on... I have oak chips on hand i could soak in whiskey and add. I'm trying to find a reason to not do this. Theres nothing wrong with this beer but for some reason i want to muck with it. i figure i cant really hurt it or can I?

Considering you're trying not to add oak, I'd say wait it out, let it condition and carbonate to give it a fair chance. If it's not what you want by then, you can always oak it in the future. To me, it's nice having a benchmark to compare future beers to.

Have you brewed this recipe before?
Do you keg or bottle?

If you have the equipment, I'd break up the batch into half. One gets oak, one doesn't get oak. Bottle/keg at the same time, and try them side by side.

I know the best thing i should do is just wait and try it once its done then maybe oak a batch of the same later on... I guess im just eager to do something to a batch. This weekend i will be able to brew a batch so i wont be as bored.

Back