Lactose -> Maltodextrin/artificial sweetener clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
Making a caramel/vanilla cream ale, and the recipe (found on here) calls for 4oz of lactose.

Unfortunately, my SWMBO, one of the main targets for this brew, is lactose intolerant to a pretty intense degree, so for everyone's safety, I was hoping to avoid the lactose. I'm told a combination of Malto and some type of non-fermentable sweetener could do the trick.

Have been using the search and googling functions to try and locate a good conversion rate, as to how much malto vs other ingredients, as I hear the artificial sweeteners can be way more intense than the lactose would have been to begin with.

Any guidance?

At four ounces in a five gallon batch I'd probably just skip it all together. Maybe add an equal amount of maltodextrin and leave it at that. Lactose is not a very sweet sugar and at four ounces you're not going to notice the small amount of sweetness it would add.

I would agree, even a pound of lactose in 5 gallons is not that noticeable. It's not a "sweet" sugar. I would just replace with malto, or just mash 2 degrees hotter.

This is on an extract recipe, with the lactose going in right before bottling... Does using malto change the time at which I should put that in?

Latest posts

Back