Alpha King Clone - A few questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvh261

Reaction score
I've been on a big Three Floyds Alpha King Pale Ale kick lately and decided I should try brewing a clone since I've never done a clone of any kind.

I found a few recipes online (extract w/ grains) and was wondering if anyone had done an AK before and if you have, what do you recommend for steeping grain time/temp, etc.

Please keep in mind, with my equipment, I can only handle a 2.5 - 3 gallon boil at most.

Any advice is most appreciated.

Thanks,
jvh

Here is what I'm planning on after looking over a couple of recipes.

Steeping Grains:
1 lb Simpson Medium Crystal (60L)
.5 lb Dingemans Caramunich

Malt Extract:
6 lbs Pale LME (any reason the recipe specifically calls for the LME? I've mostly just used DME)
1.66 lbs Muntons Light DME

Hops:
1 oz Columbus 12.2 %AA 60 min
.8 oz Warrior 30 min
1 oz Centennial 10% AA 5 min
1 oz Centennial 10% AA dry hop

Yeast:
White Labs 001 California Ale or
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

credit to Don Osborn's site for most of the recipe.

I made an all grain version of this and it turned out really good. I just finished the keg. So this morning I'm going to make some more. Maybe ten gallons this time.

In BYO's 150 Classic Clone Recipes They have a recipe for Alpha King. It calls for steeping the grain in 2.5 qts of 154 degree water for 30 min., then rinse with 1.25 qts of 170 degree water. Their recipe also calls for LME, but late addition.

This recipe looks pretty good... You might want to swap out Columbus for Cenntennial and Cascade hops for bittering. Their website said that this beer is brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.

You may want to recalculate your IBU's... They need to be in the 66 IBU range.

Thanks. After reading the thread on late extract edition I think I'll go that way.

Thanks for the heads up about the hops. I'll figure something out and work in that Cascade. Weird though that the few clones I've run into online all use Columbus.

Did you ever end up making this beer? I just had an alpha king the other day and am interested in making a clone.

Zombie thread... sorry for the lack of reply jakead, didn't see this again until now.

Yes, I made it quite a few times as an extract brew following the recipe above and it was great everytime. Comes out pretty darn close to the real thing. Haven't done it in a while but from what I recall I did some batches with all DME and didn't really notice much of a difference. I used Wyeast 1056 and fermented around 66-68 degrees. Here was a 5 gallon batch at dryhopping from back in Jan of '08:

n766672426_946452_2752.jpg

Yikes, that looks delicious.

I ended up coming up with a similar recipe and brewing it about 3 weeks ago. Thanks for the follow up.

Back