Pumpkin ale critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrism583

Reaction score
Like everyone else it seems I'm doing a pumpkin ale. I'm fairly new to this having only done two other batches before and would appreciate some insight into this batch.

5 Gallons
8 lbs. Roasted pumpkin
1 lb Vienna malt
.5 lb Crystal malt
.5 lb. Malted wheat
6 lbs. light DME
1 oz Mt. Hood hops
.5 oz Hallertauer hops(finishing)
1/2 tsp. Vanilla and cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Ginger, nutmeg, and allspice
Wyeast 1056 American

I had planned on starting my 3 gal. boil with the grains and pumpkin in strain bags and removing them once a boil was reached. After that I was going to put in the DME & Mt. Hood hops until the 45 minute mark and, at that point, put in the finishing hops, vanilla, and spices until 60 when I start to let it cool.

How does all this sound?
Thanks in advance.

Pumpkin ales, despite the name, are still primarily made with grain for the grist. This recipe contains approx. 80% pumpkin. I highly suggest reading up on how to brew a proper pumpkin ale instead of following your original concept, which will yield more of a vegetal pumpkin wine.

Pumpkin ales, despite the name, are still primarily made with grain for the grist. This recipe contains approx. 80% pumpkin. I highly suggest reading up on how to brew a proper pumpkin ale instead of following your original concept, which will yield more of a vegetal pumpkin wine.

I think you missed the 6 lbs DME in there. But I'd probably come back on the pumpkin a bit. From what I have read, there is rarely a great deal of pumpkin, if any, in pumpkin beers, oddly enough. I don't think they have a great deal of flavor.

Still, 8 lbs. of pumpkin is a huge amount for a 5 gallon batch. I personally only enjoy pumpkin beers made with real pumpkin... they can keep the spiced versions.

Still, 8 lbs. of pumpkin is a huge amount for a 5 gallon batch. I personally only enjoy pumpkin beers made with real pumpkin... they can keep the spiced versions.

No, I completely agree.

chrism583: So what would you suggest? Take it back by half? Maybe down to 2 lbs?

From what I've read 1-2 pounds is plenty. I'm making one this weekend and will use about two pounds in the mash. This is the thread I'm basing my recipe off, if it helps...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/index23.html

It's actually fairly close to yours, with less spices I think. I'm also adding vanilla to it, and will test this graham cracker extract on half of them to see if I can mimick a pie crust. Also I will be using 3/4 oz warrior hops and 1/4 oz styrian gold hops in place of the ones listed because that's what I have on hand. Hope some of this helps...

It absoloutely does help. Thank you everybody for the advice. I'm trimming the pumpkin down to 2 lbs. and we'll see how she goes. Thanks again.

I use 7 lbs. of canned pumpkin puree in my 5.5 gallon pumpkin ale and it tastes great! 8 lbs. would be fine, but I don't think you would get very good starch conversion for the pumpkin only doing a partial mash with 1 lb. of Vienna. If you know someone that brews using all grain methods, you could brew a double batch and split it with them.

Good luck!

Cheers.

Thanks for all the feedback. What I ended up going with was the following:
5 Gallons
2 lbs. Roasted pumpkin
1 lb Vienna malt
.5 lb Crystal malt
.5 lb. Malted wheat
6 lbs. light DME
1 oz Mt. Hood hops
.5 oz Hallertauer hops(finishing)
1/2 tsp. Vanilla and cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg and allspice
Due to a hungry nosy dog drinking my original yeast starter I had to use Coopers in a pinch.

Wort tasted and smelled good. I'll keep you all posted.

I just made a pumpkin ale this week.. I used 1 lb of pumpkin, 2 oz of molasses and 1 tsp of pumpkin spice. Malt bill was 2 row, vienna, crystal 20 and some special roast. Hallertau hops. I have high hopes for this one

Bottled it yesterday. Yielded 3.75 gallons with a starting density of 1.92 and a final of 1.11. Nice slightly dark caramel color.

Kegged mine ya couple weeks ago. One of my best beers yet. Just sent it in for competition. We'll see how it does

Back