Wit with both flaked and malted wheat, no go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tegeberg

Reaction score
Hi guys

Flaked wheat is pretty expensive up here, so for my next wit I was wondering if there is anything mash/conversion wise or flavour wise that would keep me from brewing a wit with say 50% pilsner, 15% malted wheat and 35% flaked wheat?

Thanks,
Thomas

Won't hurt a bit. I've done something similar before and it turned out as good as all flaked wheat. But I did throw in a little flaked oats. I think half pound.

Thanks guys. So, would something like this work as a grain bill? Anything I should go higher or lower on? I will be doing a BIAB kind of mash.

% KG MALT OR FERMENTABLE

32% 1.500 Pilsner (2 Row) Ger

32% 1.500 Flaked Wheat

21% 1.000 Wheat Malt

11% 0.500 Light Dry Extract

5% 0.250 Corn Sugar (Dextrose)

I've used a mix before, came out great. Matter of fact, I think I'm personally finding flaked wheat to have less "wheat" flavor and have been planning to replace all the flaked wheat with regular malted wheat to see the result. The SRM of Weyermann is pretty much the same so I don't even think the color will be affected.

Rev.

With a grain bill like the one above, will I be ok with a single infusion mash, or would you recommend a protein rest? I generally have a biiiit of a hard time keeping my temperatures throughout the mash so please factor that in.

Back