Percentage of Rice Hulls for Wheat grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I want to convert a DME apricot wheat recipe that is the wifeys favorite to AG. The guy where I've purchased the DME kit from in the past thought:

4# 2 row
6# Wheat
#1 crystal
2# Hulls

Found another Apricot wheat recipe on promash where they were:

5# 2 row
4# wheat (no hulls in the recipe file :confused: )

Is there a percentage of Rice/Oat Hulls to # of wheat? The 2# from my LHBS I think he just wants to sell more hulls. My Beligum Wit I thought used .5# hulls but don't have the info near me now... 25% to # of wheat sounds like it'd be a nice ratio but I don't want a stuck mash. Also, curious from other AG guys who've done wheat brews; is the wheat bill usually higher, or 2 row? These two have it bass-ackwards.

The recipes I've seen talk about 2 quarts of hulls for 6 lbs of wheat. Don't know how that would translate into weight.

You can go all the way up to 90% wheat, but it ain't easy. 50-65% wheat seems the most common rates.

Just modify the recipe for 50% base malt and 50% wheat, and you won't have to worry about a stuck mash using that ratio.

I saw that ratio used by the brewmaster at Boulevard Brewing Co., who makes an AWESOME american wheat.

ORRELSE said:
Just modify the recipe for 50% base malt and 50% wheat, and you won't have to worry about a stuck mash using that ratio.

I saw that ratio used by the brewmaster at Boulevard Brewing Co., who makes an AWESOME american wheat.

Cool - I'll give that a go. I might do a normal Hefe next week instead of the IPA I had planned so I can do a pitch onto this slurry. Appreciate it.

Back