Petite saison recipe ABV boost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoowahoo02

Reaction score
I'm brewing a petite saison kit over the weekend, but I'd like to boost the ABV to somewhere between 5 and 6 percent without significantly impacting the body of the brew. Is the best way to do this through a) a 1 lb addition of table sugar at the end of the boil, b) a 1-2 lb addition of wheat DME at the beginning of the boil, or c) somewhere in between, like a half LB each?

What does the ingredient list look like, with amounts? If it is supposed to be real low, I would add some of each. I use 1lb of sucrose in a 5gal batch of Saison. However, keep in mind Saison yeast (if that's even in the kit, not sure which kit you have) attenuates very well, resulting in more abv. If it does not come with Saison yeast, I would go through the trouble to get some. A Brewers Best Tripel kit had Nottingham in it.. IMO, with these styles, yeast is one of the biggest factors.

Thanks for the reply. The ingredients are as follows:

- 0.5 lbs Belgian Caravienne
- 3.15 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
- 1 lb Pilsen dry malt extract
- 1 lb Wheat dry malt extract
- 1 oz Kent Goldings (60 min)
- 0.25 oz Styrian Goldings (10 min)
- 0.25 oz Saaz (10 min)
- 0.75 oz Styrian Goldings (2 min)
- 0.75 oz Saaz (2 min)

The yeast is the safbrew t-58 ale yeast. I was thinking of adding 1 additional lb of wheat DME and 1 lb of table sugar. I figure that will boost the ABV without detracting significantly from the body of the beer. Thoughts?

Sugar. Saisons typically have a large portion of sugar in them anyway. What are you trying to change/not change about the body? Saisions should be fairly light bodied and super dry so the sugar will help with that too.

Yep, definitely sugar in this case. I thought it may have come with some anyway.

I've never used that Safbrew, but it sounds like it will work ok, definitely better than Nottingham.

Back