Mini-fridge to kegerator conversion questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
I'm converting a 4.4 cu ft mini-fridge to fit a single corny-keg using the "Standard Homebrew Kegerator Conversion Kit" from beveragefactory.com. I was planning to drill through the door, and put the tap on the front of the fridge. Since the fridge sits on a shelf, I assumed that would make the tap at the perfect height.

Looking at the projects here, though, it seems like everybody has mounted a tower on top of their mini-fridge, instead of putting the tap through the door.

Is there a reason that my plan won't work?

nope the tap through the door will work well most people put towers on for two reasons they look cool and the height of the tap. Overall the tap through the door will actully be better because the beer wont warm as it sits in the line between pores casing excess foaming when you first start to pour.

Depending on the fridge and if your using ball or pin lock kegs you may be able to fit 2 kegs in the fridge. The ball locks are a little narrower but taller then pin locks. Thats just in case you want to go with 2 taps.

If it is the wirpool/danby 4.4 mini fridge it will fit 1 ball lock corny & co2 tank as is, if you want to fit 2 ball lock cornys & c02 tank you need to remove the inner door panel. But that is easy to do.

Mine go through the door too, it was just easier and I can still set things on top of it. Just have to make sure those shanks sit ABOVE the tops of the kegs. That's pretty much all you have to remember.

The best thread I found on here was this one:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/frigidaire-model-frc445gb-mini-fridge-kegerator-conversion-89013/

I actually went and bought that exact fridge, since it was reasonably priced and was proven to hold two ball locks side by side with a shelf in the back for a 5 pounder. I love this thing.

How do you know if it's "safe" to go through the top of the fridge? Are there just very rarely refrigerant lines up there?

I ask because everything I read prior to coming to this forum said that lines ran all over the sides of mini fridge's, then I come here and EVERYONE is drilling right into them!

To check the top of the fridge use dish soap. Spread it across the top and it will dry in the areas the lines are. If there are any on the top.

Back