Wyeast pack with hard nutrient pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libzhark

Reaction score
Brought a Wyeast packet out of the refrigerator about 3 hours ago, felt a bit puffed up already. I just went to smack it, but the nutrient pack inside felt inflated and stiff. I thought a few smacks might bust the nutrient pack and everything would be normal, but its not busting, now the nutrient pack just feels mushy. Could the nutrient pack have been ruptured when I brought the pack home a week ago, and the yeast have been going to town inside the pack since then? Should I be worried about bad yeast?

Have you kept the pack refrigerated? I've had a few that started swelling when I left them out and they warmed up. I've never had a smack pack where I couldn't bust the pouch inside though. Its probably fine but you could make a starter just to be safe.

Yes, it was refrigerated the whole time. I eventually opened the pack up, intending to make a starter. Apparently I'd only managed to make a tiny hole in the nutrient pack. I left it in a vial for an hour or so and started having airlock activity and saw some churning, so it seems to be fine. Never had a smack pack give me that much trouble before.

Thanks for the feedback!

Was it Denny's Fav 50? At my LHBS, those are all swollen in the fridge, funny stuff.

Back