My first brew in primary 2.5 Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eluna

Reaction score
Well i just started fermenting my first Batch EVER i am doing a 2.5gals of Hefeweizen

extract is way expensive so i didnt want to do a 5gals because it required 2 cans and at 20$ a can most likely i am going to be forced into all grain very quickly but doing a smaller batch helped me focus more on the process of cleaning and working my way through the Brewing and i learned a lot actually doing all this and a couple things the books didnt mention nothing like on hands experience but my main problem was that i was very messy with everything so next time i will try to keep from spilling Malt on my shoes and to lower the temperature before a boil over happens making me have to tear out all the Crap catchers under the burner of my turkey frier and clean for a 1/2 hour more than needed. I will also make sure i have Much more space cleared out so i can have room to have some elbow space which would have been a god send when i was pouring liquids here and there

But hell yeah i cant wait to get better if this was fun i know I'm gonna like going to bigger and better things :rockin:

Everyone pray for my yeast to grow up healthy :tank:

once i get 10 posts up i will get some pictures of my brewing set up

The recipe i used is extremely simple:
3.3Lbs Muntons wheat LME
1oz Tettnanger whole raw 60min
1/2oz Czech Sasz pellet 5min
Smack Pack Bavarian Wheat Yeast

Sounds great, welcome to the world of brewing your own!

You are ahead of me for my first batches I just used a can of coopers and a kilo of sugar. But then I had not found this website and did not hear about using the all grain method without spending a thousands dollars and 8 hours to start the brew. My advice is try to brew something you like and want to drink often, rather than different batches everytime. Get to know how an ingredient should taste, by using it twice and then trying to improve and see if its actually an improvement, or just something really different.

$20/can seems outrageous to me. I haven't used LME since 1996, is that really what it costs? I wouldn't use whole leaf hops during the boil in the future, they absorb too much beer. At $20/can, you don't want half a can being absorbed by the hops and ending up in the garbage :(

Cool! I'm working on my first batch and am making 5 gallons of Hefeweizen as well. I love a good Hefe. Mine didn't do much the first day, but yesterday and today, it's really active. Starting to smell beer like too!

yeah i haven't been able to reply to anyone due to Midterms studies and SWMBO and thanks for the heads up on rip off prices i went a town over(5miles) and found a CO-OP that has a great selection of Home-brew Supplies DME is 10$ for 3.0LBs So much better and i will keep a look out on not using whole raw hops really annoying to use anyways Its like Taring and feathering yourself and you have to use double the amount of hops compared to pelleted

How did ur coopers turn out? I jus brewed the exact same one, coopers real ale, and used dextrose (sugar) instead of DME because they didnt have what i wanted.

Back