Tax Return Processing Websites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't recommend any of them. A good CPA or Tax Processor will know what deductions and non audit flagging limits can be applied to your situation.

My return is pretty basic. I used both TurboTax and TaxAct last year and they came up with the same result to the penny, but TaxAct was $10 cheaper so I e-filed with them.

I've used CompleteTax for probably the last five years. Seems to do a good job. Pretty straightforward. Haven't had too many complicated things (mortgage interest, some capital gains, childcare deductions, etc), but it's all been pretty clear and understandable. It keeps my information from year to year, so I don't have to re-input everything again. I have not done a side-by-side comparision, but it seems to work and I don't think there are any other deductions that I'm missing.

I think it depends on your particular situation. My taxes are complicated enough (rental property, S corporation income) that the "basic" websites and such can't handle them. The "premium" version of Turbotax will do everything I need, so that's what I use.

I figure I have another couple of years, then I probably will have to find a real, live, good CPA, and not a "tax preparation service" that basically does what I already do with Turbotax.

I've been happy with Turbo-Tax for years and now use the online version. Basic mortgage deductions, charitable giving, child care, etc

Last year I tried both tubo tax and taxact. Taxact was much cheaper and got me more money. That was a pretty easy decision.

I've used FreeTaxUSA for the past 2 years. I compared to TurboTax for this year, and while Federal returns were exactly the same, FreeTaxUSA got me a larger state refund.

Edit: Oh, and depending on your income level, Federal is free and State was only $9.95

I use TurboTax, and have for years. They are now owned by Intuit, makers of Quicken/Quickbooks. You can file for free if you have a very simple tax filing status, or you can opt for the non-free versions that will ask more detailed questions and handle multiple incomes and income types. It stores everything online after you are done, and you can download/print the documents if you like. If you don't care, you can always go back to their site and pull up your tax paperwork for previous years. Highly recommended, unless you have a complicated tax situation. In that case, hire a professional to make sure you are filing correctly.

1040's by hand all the way! (but I'm an accountant, well almost, will have a degree soon)

TurboTax here for the last ten years or so. Taxes for us are pretty straightforward though - just 2 W2's and credit for interest paid on college loans. No experience with other programs though, so I really have nothing to judge it against. Haven't been audited though.....

Back