Going to town!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiSoloII

Splitting the beer atom since 1996
Reaction score
Brewed up a version of BM's Centennial Blonde (1.045 OG, .5/.5 Cent, .5/.5 Casc). Mashed at 152 - got as low as 149 at the end. Used Notty - no rehydrate.

Looked this morning, the yeast was VERY active - going up and down, and around. Pretty good blonde color. It's going so hard right now the color has changed to a much lighter shade - almost like foam. Blowing off pretty well, bubbling every couple of seconds.

This is my 5th AG, 35th or so batch overall. Never seen this level of activity. Is that normal? I wonder if I did something better or worse than usual.

Thanks, Dave

At what temp. did you pitch yeast? What temp is your fermenter. A warm ferment will be more active.

Better IMO to keep it cooler, w/ a slower fermentation rather than going warm.

At what temp. did you pitch yeast? 82deg F What temp is your fermenter. ?Currently shows 76deg F A warm ferment will be more active.

Better IMO to keep it cooler, w/ a slower fermentation rather than going warm.
Basement temp not controllable. Have another batch in secondary right next to it at ambient (about to bottle) - shows 64 deg F

Thanks,

Dave

Basement temp not controllable. Have another batch in secondary right next to it at ambient (about to bottle) - shows 64 deg F

Thanks,

Dave
76f is too warm, your basement temp is controllable, let me tell you how, get yourself a large tupperware container, put your fermenter in it, fill it 3/4 full of tap water, and add ice as needed, the water and ice will keep it cool, I would suggest keeping the water in the low to mid 60's, this will give your ales a much cleaner, crisp profile and overall better beer, this method made my ales so much better than just letting the ferment temp run it course, you will only need to add ice once a day, try it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, good luck, and brew on!:mug:

not mine, but I have seen my carboy do this before....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7CyR1kVClE]YouTube - Active Fermentation[/ame]

Back