Diagnosis please - yeast bite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CnnmnSchnpps

Reaction score
Need help figuring out a problem with my latest batch. It was a partial boil, steeped grains + extract irish red (got the recipe on here somewhere, it's called Patricl I believe).

Primary around 65 for 3 weeks, bottled with dextrose, been bottle conditioning for 6-7 weeks now. My computer crashed so I don't have the gravities anymore but it fermented out to about 75% apparent atten.

I've been trying it about once a week since week 3, and the result is a little strange. One bottle around week 4 was a nice malty red ale. It was nice. I was happy

The rest have exhibited a chill haze / yeast bite that doesn't seem to be going away. Beer will be nice and clear in the bottle at room temp, then once I chill it in the fridge it becomes cloudy. When I taste it, it has a sharp off flavor that tastes like yeast so I assume that is yeast bite.

Now at this point, the beer is bottled so I know there isn't anything I can really do, but I am wondering what are the usual suspects for this kind of thing as far as process goes. The chill haze doesn't bother me too much, and I've made some upgrades since that should take care of it (full boils, wort chiller).

However, the yeasty taste is less than enjoyable and needs to go away. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.. :mug:

Thanks
-D

Maybe a dumb question, but are you leaving the yeast in the bottom of the bottle when you pour?

trust me on htis. You will not taste the protien chill haze. :rolleyes:

Humm.....if you would......would it taste like chicken?? :D

As for the OP....chill haze is usually associated with proteins in your grains giving a "haze" and not associated with any taste. Usually, if you keep the beer refrigerated for at least a day or two, the haze subsides. But if you're tasting yeast, then perhaps the beer isn't completely clarified. Did you use Irish Moss, and did you leave the beer conditioning in a primary or secondary? I'm usually paranoid about clarifying, so I also crash cool my secondary before I rack to keg/bottles. I also suspect that the beer itself is a bit green: I would have only started bottling into week 4....and if naturally carbing in bottles, they would be going in the fridge at week 6.

How long are you chilling before drinking? The red ale I am just finishing up had a very off taste the first day I put it in the fridge, by after about 24 hours it tasted good.

Thanks for the replies guys..

- Yes I am leaving the sediment in the bottle along with the last 1oz or so of liquid.

- I realize that chill haze has no flavor. The two may not be related, just figured I'd share all the info I have.

- I am chilling for at least 24 hours. I left one in the fridge for a week and the result was the same.

- I did use irish moss

- Unfortunately I don't have an extra fridge in which to crash cool, so I just leave it in primary for at least 3 weeks. The 90-min IPA (1.097) I am making right now just went into secondary after 3 weeks. It's gonna stay there in there a good month at least

I guess it could just be that the beer hasn't finished conditioning and the yeast isn't settling out yet. Just surprising since my previous batches were drinkable after 3 weeks, but this one is still not, at 6.

Back