My pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohshot

Reaction score
After letting a couple of my pals try my first home brew we all agreed that it is quite bitter compared to others. Could anything cause your homebrew to be more bitter than usual?

After letting a couple of my pals try my first home brew we all agreed that it is quite bitter compared to others. Could anything cause your homebrew to be more bitter than usual?

The previous poster is right, albeit a brief post, lol. The issue is you didn't supply us with any information at all so it could be such a number of things it's not possible to tell you something other than a very general answer.

Post more information about the brew. Your recipe, AG or extract, process, etc etc. The more info you supply the better people can help.

Cheers.
Wily

Do you mean bitter like hops bitter, or something else?

Rick

I used a pre measured kit here is the list of ingredients.

image-4073332520.jpg

Not sure if this is any help though. If we let it sit longer would that make it less bitter or more?

Can you explain your brew process any? When did you add the hops to the boil? I see that recipe used hopped extract in addition to hop pellets.

Yeah, we added the hops during boil after we seeped the crystal malt in the water. I'm not sure if its a hop bitter cause well this is my first home brew.

How long did you boil the hops? How long has it been bottled? Are you saying it's more bitter than other pale ales or more bitter than other homebrew?

Well not exactly sure on the boil time but I know it was less than an hour. It's been bottles for 3 weeks now and it seems more bitter than a regular pale ale.

when does the recipe say to add the hop pellets? If it's a legitimately bitter flavor it's likely from your hop additions. The longer hops boil, the more bitter is extracted.

It sounds like you might not be familiar with the pale ale style of beer. If this is the case, I would suggest you go to the store and get a couple pale ales to give yourself a basis of comparison. You should do this with any style homebrew you are attempting. Suggestions for pale ale, if you need them, are: sierra nevada pale ale, sam adams pale ale, etc etc.

It does indeed seem like you may've boiled the hops for so long it became a bittering addition. On top of the pre-bittered extract can. The ounce of hops was likely for flavor,which would be 15-20 minutes from the end of the boil. Or in your case,with the dry extract (DME),& a couple gallons of boiling water (partial boil). Boiling the hops for 15-20 minutes,then remove from heat & add the rest of the extracts (late addition).

Back