First time using specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busta98

Reaction score
So I have 2 extract kits without specialty grains under my belt and now I'm ready to venture into specialty grains. I've read of a couple techniques and would like to get a consensus here. Feel free to correct me on these.

The first one I've heard of is the pre-boil method which I believe involves puting the grains in cold water and basically waiting till just before boiling to pull them out. Another one way is to bring the water to steeping temps (160-170 give or take)then puting the grains in the water (obvously in the bag for both methods). Thoughts?

When I did extract with specialty grains I did the cold water bring up to boil method. It works, but if I had to go back and do it again I would go with the steeping method at 155.

I've been steeping the grains in water at 155-160ish for about half an hour, removing them, sparging them, then bringing it all to a boil and continuing as normal.

Haven't tried the cold water method.

I bring 2.5-3 gallons of water to 155 degrees then take off the heat and put in my specialty grains. Let sit (with an occasional "tea-bag" motion) for about 20-30 mins. Pick up and let most of the water drain from the bag, then toss it in the garbage. It's as easy as that.

Good luck on your brew.

I've been steeping the grains in water at 155-160ish for about half an hour, removing them, sparging them, then bringing it all to a boil and continuing as normal.

Haven't tried the cold water method.
I'd suggest this as well

I agre with Y'all about steeping in 160 Degree water for 20-30 minutes. What kind of grains are you steeping for a 3.75# can of hopped malt plus 2 more#'s of unhopped malt. I use a dukes mixture, about a pound total of Two row,Car-Plus,Special B maybe some chocolate.

I bring 2.5-3 gallons of water to 155 degrees then take off the heat and put in my specialty grains. Let sit (with an occasional "tea-bag" motion) for about 20-30 mins. Pick up and let most of the water drain from the bag, then toss it in the garbage. It's as easy as that.

Good luck on your brew.

Exactly what I do.

I always steeped at 155 for 30 minutes.

Never tried the cold method, but would have concerns of drawing out off flavors if I left the grains in all the way to the boil.

Back