I had a 67 GTO; What was your teenage musclecar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medo

Reaction score
Ahoy hoy,
Ah yes, back in Detroit in 76, I bought my 67 goat for 500 bucks. The coupe with the landeau roof, rally sports package, and hurst his/hers shifter. 325hp 400cid w/ TH400 tranny, 4:10 possy in the rear. I took it north to the one horse town my folks moved to, and it was the 3rd fastest rig in the county, only behind a 64 goat, and a 69 camaro with a factory race 427 in it. Bracket racing, friday night 1/4 milers on deserted country stretches. Those were the days, and nothing like having one during the bicentennial year, as that was THE year to party. And muscle cars in Michigan at that time, after all the gas shortages and insurance hassles, were a dime a dozen. We used a 69 GTX w/ 440 for a demo derby car. Bought it for 100 bucks, won a couple hundred with it, and sold it to the junk yard for 50 when it was wasted. Todays kids, riding around in aluminum can civics and such, dont even know what they are missing. Hmm....I may have to watch Vanishing Point, or Bullet tonight. I may need a muscle car fix now....
I bid you all a great day!

'71 510 Datsun sleeper. Built it up myself. Dual SU carbs, 2L head on a 1.6L block with 1.8L rods and 240Z flat top pistons. 10:1 compression. 8,000 rpm red line. Totally stock on the outside. Took out the automatic and put in a 4 speed from a Z and used a clutch from a 1600 Roadster. Used to do night time canyon runs with our lights off and a full moon. Could do 93 mph in 3rd and went past the 120 mph mark on the speedo on a back country road. Crazy crap when I think back on it. Had a lot of fun though.:ban:

I almost bought a (year forgotten) Nova off a dealer showroom floor in the early 90's for $4k. Financing had been negotiated, co-signer secured, contract being prepared to be signed. The interior was perfect but the motor had not been re-built and had a crapload of miles on it. It was still strong tho'.

Then my co-signer dad popped the trunk, as the salesman was walking toward us with the contract, and said aloud "Oh, Wow. It has a fire extinguisher!" To which the dealer chuckled and said "No sir the car is Nitros injected"

"Nitro what?" says dad. "It's like a shot of go fast adrenaline" says the sm.

My dad then looks at his teenage son and apprently saw an image that wasn't conducive to signing near the X. That is, without a word he walked outside and got in his car.

True story. Man I was pissed. I could have cared less about the bottle I just wanted that car. In retrospect tho', whatever image he saw would have prolly come true within the first week when I finally had the oportunity to try it out. Sheet! I won't lie. I'd have prolly hit on the way home and ended up flying through the side of a church bus or something.

Ummm, does this count at all?

Okay, Okay 1977 Pontiac Catalina beater BUT, was an old police car (painted over) and had an original interceptor motor in it. To this day I still don't know what that meant but, it was a fun car.

That's as close as I ever got to car muscle.

Mine was a 74. Only 5200 made. Ugly but it was fun.

406 Poncho balanced and blueprinted
Torker 2 Intake port matched
16 Heads ported heavily with Ferrera Valves and full roller rockers
.488 split duration cam
13-1 compression
750 Holly modified mech secondaries huge boosters
2 3/4" primary to 3.5" collectors down to 3" dual exhaust to 3 chamber flow masters dumped
All electronic ignition, fuel and a griffen 2 core aluminum radiator electric fan (you couldnt overheat it in FL!)
all that Plugged into
At one time
3200 Stall Th350(lasted 3 weeks) TH400 lasted 4 months.
M21 4speed lasted 9 months
Saginaw 4speed lasted 3 years
Centerforce clutch lasted 2 weeks.
Solid Iron Ram Clutch lasted 3
Rear was a BOP axle with 3.36 gears. Lasted 2 years. Replaced with a 3.73 10bolt gm

1969 Firebird
Chevy 350 (rebuilt once)
Automatic (ugh) transmission
Pontiac Blue (which is actually green/blue)
Moroso Headers - Until I took out a 55 MPH sign with the car that stuck on, and bent, the headers creating a gap where the headers met the heads. This in turn made for an enormously loud backfire every time I let off the gas. Nothing like lighting 'em up down the street, get everyone to look and then let off the gas....... BANG! :rockin:
Rocket racing wheels
Airlift suspension in the back so I could jack the back end waaaaaaaaaay up on the weekends. It was harder to drive that way, but it looked much cooler.

When I went to college I had to sell the car. So I took it to the high school before class let out for the day and parked at the far end of the parking lot. Once kids started filing out from class I lit the tires up from one side of the parking lot to the other. I put a for sale sign in the car and sold it that evening.

I miss that car.....................

I had an 88 Fiero

hey, at least it was a FORMULA edition. :p

Later in life (mid 20s) I did have an 89 Firebird Formula with straight pipes, a rebuilt engine, and a shift kit.

I blew the tranny in about a month.

I also had a 95 Eagle talon Tsi turbo, that was one kick ass car....blew the turbo doing about a hundred while bar hopping...limped home drunk...the story of my life.

(Not my pics)
73 grand Torino :eek:. What a slow POS. Girlfriend wrecked it for me.

100_7465-600.jpg

Then got a 70 Lemans (green) which was much cooler to drive around in. Wish I still had it.

7b166c40.jpg

'89 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sierra.

Turd Brown, busted turn signal, more rust than metal, ceiling upholstry falling down, broken cassette deck.

oh yeah.... you know you wanted one. ;)

at least it got me around town till i took it on an unplanned deer hunting expedition at 75 mph... :(

1970 Cougar XR7 351W a dream car and some serious memories.

76bafbeb-c4f0-4c4c-9862-50030fef3f2b.jpg

611db4a3-344f-46e3-a123-2994cc6cf3e3.jpg

8a7e9417-c618-4a50-beaa-3c7ac207d22b.jpg

Truth in advertising. Not my pictures but the same car same color as mine.

I had a 1972 Barracuda. I bought it in 1981. It only had a 318 in it. Still fun though. Had it until '85. It was pretty well wore out by then

68 Nova SS clone. Had it for about 3 years. Had a 69 LT1 in it.
USPics051.jpg

Before that I had a 68 Impala 4-door. Aqua with aqua interior. Can't find any pics though.
Btw I'm only 22 haha.

'86 ford ranger! no power brakes, no power steering, no power locks, no power windows, no power from the engine. say what you will about it but I got airborne in that truck more times than I could remember.

my current car is an '05 WRX. I wasn't a teen when I bought it(but only by a year!)

In order....

1986 Chevy Nova 4dr
1985 Ford Tempo 4dr
1983 Datsun Sentra 2dr
1986 Olds 98 Regency
1986 Merc Cougar w/ 3.8L
1990 Dodge Grand Caravan
1979 Datsun 280ZX
1994 Ford Aspire
1996 Eagle Vision
...and that brings us to today.

I *WANTED* a '70 Nova 2dr with a 350, but my parents were too scared to let me buy it (with my own money! from my fast food job!)

(Not my pics)

Then got a 70 Lemans (green) which was much cooler to drive around in. Wish I still had it.

7b166c40.jpg

I had a 70 LeMans, too! Um, mine was a bit less pretty than that, though. As in, it was more rust holes than solid metal. But I had lots of fun spinning donuts in it!

My baby was a 1968 Monaro, with the V8 Chevy block bored out from 307 to 327. It had a power glide transmission 2 gears forward Auto/Manual.

White with black stripe. Went like the clappers. Could'ent hear the radio above 30km/hr. and the wind would whisle past the seals. But just sitting in the drivers seat was an experiance. No power steering and with Mags and wideies it was a bugger to park. Get it out on the highway and it hummed. I never raced it but did get it up to 240klm/hr once for a short distance.

I got the car when I was 40 some 15 years after it was first made. At that time I had just got married and drooled over it. So everything comes to those that wait. Now it is with my son. Initial price $aud3200 I paid $3000 15 years later. Sold it to my son for $2000 and now 40 years after its conception it has a potential value of $50-$70,000.

They do not make cars like they did. The picture is not of my car which is the same except for the original rims, It was one of the colour schemes available. Funny enough it appeared to also be used for a wedding as I did for my son's. Still that is the beast and what a beast.

1.jpg

'76 Camaro. Midnight Metallic blue with 3 on the floor.

I spent everything I could save ficking, painting and pimping that car. I bought it with my own money just after I turned 15. I got my license on my 16th birthday and some old lady in a cadillac ran a stop sign and broadsided me 4 hours after I got my license. I don't think I've ever been so upset in my life. I'll have to dig around and see if I have any pics. It was freaking beautiful for all 4 hours that I got to actually drive it. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Nice pics! Nice to see some real cars, not something with a 4" exhaust tip and a 4-banger that sounds like my weedeater...:D

(sorry, not a sport import fan)

73 Nova with a 307 2 barrel.

Upgraded in about a year to a 68 Camaro RS/SS hideaway headlights and power convertible. Removed 327 and built an LT1 350.

MAN I WISH I HAD THAT CAR BACK!

'89 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sierra.

Turd Brown, busted turn signal, more rust than metal, ceiling upholstry falling down, broken cassette deck.

oh yeah.... you know you wanted one. ;)

at least it got me around town till i took it on an unplanned deer hunting expedition at 75 mph... :(

78 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Oxidized pea-soup green, only snow tires, ceiling upholstry falling down, after market cruise control, no A/C and enough body rust to notice.

It had a 289 V8 and surprisingly could move.

I had a stick 03 and 1/2 Kia Spectra. My sister used to sell em so I got a deal on it. I flipped it into a ditch on a straightaway. Rode the hood till i hit a field access.I crawled out the window and the EMTs told me I was in shock and strapped me down and blocked my head. The first trooper on scene told me if I were going about 10 mph faster the sluice than stopped me would have decapitated me. I went for a high five, but she left me hanging; I didn't know how to respond to that. I had a couple little cuts from the windshield but other than that I was fine.

68 Dodge Coronet Stationwagon - real chick magnet;)

mopp_060800_alt_20_z1968_dodge_coro.jpg

(^not mine^)

318, 2bbl, 3sp manual on the column. The beast was geared for all torque for pulling a trailer. It could beat anything off the line, but no top end. When I'd challenge someone at the traffic light, I'd get 100yds out from the light and hit the brakes, pretending that it wasn't worth racing.

If anyone knows where one can be found I'd pay a finder's fee :D You know that mid-life crisis retro regressive thing.

'86 ford ranger! no power brakes, no power steering, no power locks, no power windows, no power from the engine.

Me too! I learned to drive on a beat-up, rusted out black 1986 manual Ford Ranger. This isn't mine, but that's what it looked like.

IMGA0095.jpg

Now I drive a 1993 Dodge Intrepid. At this rate, by the time I hit 30, I might be driving something from the late 90s or even 2000s! Woo!

Closest thing i had to a muscle car was a '78 Buick Electra with a 350. Not exactly fast but it was RWD and a V-8. Plus it was a plush ride on long trips.
When my sister wrecked it (not her fault) I replaced it with a Hyundai Excel for college. Then I had a Geo Metro for grad school and a couple years afterwards. I actually like driving the tiny econobox. The metro got 50MPG and had surprising acceleration for a 3 cylinder 1liter engine with maybe 55horse. I guess the 1600# curb weight really helped.

Craig

My "muscle" car was a '98 dodge neon R/T on the bottle. Made over 200whp and was good fun. I'm not lucky enough to have a real mopar, but someday....

Back