Grainy taste!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynwitte

Reaction score
I just started brewing in June I have 8 under my belt with 6 of those being all grain why wait i say. Well my beers are pretty good and i still cant wait to share them/drink them like i should but my question is i can taste the "grains" while drinking my beer. I dont mind it so much but just wondered if i did something wrong or just don't let them age like they should?

THanks

If you just started in June how are you drinking them already? Even if you brewed one June 1st that one MIGHT be coming ready JUST NOW using the basic 123 rule

*DANG YOU REVVY*

+1 Revvy
that graininess your tasting........is grain
relax and have a store bought brew :)

lynwitte - what does krausen taste like?

*spews water on keyboard*

Seriously though lynwitte, how long are you letting your beers ferment? Are you using a hydrometer? Leaving a beer in primary for an additional 2-4 weeks is a really good idea, it makes for great beers (except for hefe's and wits.)

What types of beers are you making?

I know i should wait a little bit but there so tasty. I did check to make sure the Hydrometer said it was finished fermenting out usually about 6-7 days and then bottled it.

wait longer and then bottle and then wait. It really make the beer that much tastier. I gaurantee that in two months you'll post this thread "I brewd a beer in june and it tasted funny. Now its frickin' awesome; unfortunately I only have two left"
Just be patient

first was Irish red, brown, "steamin ale" was first all grain, another red ale, Witte Wit, rasberry wheat, mild ale, and another brown. The witte wit Rasberry wheat and mild ale are in fermenter for 7 days now.

So leave them in primary for 2 more weeks, bottle and let sit not drink.....the humanity!!!!

I know i should wait a little bit but there so tasty. I did check to make sure the Hydrometer said it was finished fermenting out usually about 6-7 days and then bottled it.

I know it's hard to wait. I had to throw out two batches due to infected yeast propagated from an earlier batch... last weekend I tapped a green keg just to have some homebrew, since I have pretty much mowed through everything else lying around.

Amount of conditioning needed for it to taste good/great depends on specialty grains, FG, %ABV and hops. A small, dry, lightly hopped beer like a cream ale is probably good to go after three or four weeks. Darker/higher alcohol/hoppy beers take longer. An Irish Red for example doesn't seem to hit its peak until 8 weeks of conditioning. I've had commercial IPAs (like Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale) which are still green coming from the store.

I started kegging so I would have more capacity for conditioning. Bottles take up a lot of space so it's hard to have 7-8 batches conditioning in bottles, but in kegs I can fit that many in a corner of my closet without missing the floor space.

- Eric

EDIT: ps I'm planning my Christmas brew very soon so it has plenty of time to condition. Since it will be 8-9% ABV I will leave it in the keg until early December and then bottle from the keg using a BMBF. I should have done it already, but with my brewing mishap I'm still trying to catch up!

So leave them in primary for 2 more weeks, bottle and let sit not drink.....the humanity!!!!

Yeah. You don't even need to secondary most beers, esp. if you use a highly flocculant yeast like nottingham, or if your beer is supposed to be cloudy. I have a Wit 2.5 weeks in the primary, depending on the gravity reading this weekend I'll either bottle or leave it another week and then bottle. The time you would have secondaried to clarify it just add to the conditioning time.

- Eric

Yeah my first one was put in secondary then started reading up on it and didnt really see any point in that....there pretty clear with just the irish moss. Which i did not put in the wheat nor the wit. But the awnser to my question about grainy taste is just not long enough conditioning? Nothing wrong with my converted cooler mash tun, temps, times

Im not complaining about the beer there pretty good, i couldnt even stand to drink anything else at a party once everyone drank all mine. cant wait to get ahead of myself so they get a chance to mature properly!

I put my first brew in the bottle about a week ago. Man I really want one. But, I will not pop the top until the first weekend in Aug. Waiting sucks, it really does and all I have to drink in the meantime are theses damn Beligium ales and Trappist beers.....life is hard.

Tim

PS: My dad just told me this on the phone and I cried "Fish is not meat son, no one evers talkes about beating thier fish."

We did answer your question, Lynwitte the whole thread is us answering your question, you just don't want to listen....

I'll say it again, as plain as possible, If you are drinking any of the 8 batches you brewed in the last six weeks they are too young, you need to let them age, that is why they taste "grainy" they are still green. They will get better when they have been bottle conditioning for 3 weeks to a month, if not more.

Read this for an explanation....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

There's things that you have to let the yeasts do, and rushing the process doesn't let them do it...for example, letting your beer sit in primary for 2-3 weeks after the 7-10 days of fermentation allows the yeast to clean up the mess of fermentation...when they are fermenting the yeasts are also putting out a bunch of proteins and chemicals that give your beers off flavors...when they have converted all the sugars to alcohol, before they go dormant, they swim around and clean up that mess...

Leaving the beer in bottles for a minimum of 3 weeks @ 70 degrees, allows the yeasts to clean up the mess they made fermenting the priming sugar..and the Co2 built up gets re-absorbed into the beer, and further cleans up stuff, and let's the various flavors come together....This is especially important to you because it will mellow out that "grainyness" you are tasting.

This is not making Koolaid, it is dealing with living micro organisms...They have a birth, life, reproduction and death cycle, and that lifecycle is what gives us good beer. So let them do their job!

Read this blog as well....it shows what happens if you let your beers rest for awhile.

Really amazing stuff happens...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104

This isn't a numbers game, it's one of patience.

David 42 just answered the other guys question...

Grainy is really husk. Possibly due to a poor crush and/or poor sparging.

Try crash cooling the beer and keeping it cold for 4-6 weeks.

See that, the answer to fixing the graininess is time!

If yours are already in bottles, then leave them at bottle conditioning temp for 3-4 more weeks...then chill them down for at least a week...you'll be amazed to see your graniness is gone...

Do you understand what we've all been saying, now?

Hot damn, how did you manage to get THAT many batches brewed in such a short amount of time??? I can barely manage a batch/month.

Revvy's advice is excellent.....patience will reward you, grasshopper.

yeah that really says is all. Also go check out the section on this forum that recommends good books to read. Go to your public library (most library networks have a few brewing books) and read them. Fermenting wort into beer is easy; making good beers consistantly isn't.

Thanks all i will let my beers age longer and let you know in a month or 2...maybe 3 or 4

Back