Yeast experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing a yeast experiment using 5 different strains of yeast to better my knowledge of the characteristics
of each.

I will be brewing a 5 gallon batch and splitting into 5 separate 1 gallon jugs.

My question is this:
I've got three white labs vials and two Wyeast activators

Can't I just put one full strain into each 1 gallon of wort, or will I be overpitching by just using 1 gallon and either a vial or activator?

What size beer are you making? We will need that info to determine if you are over pitching. If your making a beer that's 1.095 and your yeast is about a month old (production date) than one pack per gallon is about right.

yea doing 5 gallons for each batch makes bottling a lot more worthwhile, if you've ever tried bottling 1 gallon at a time you'll understand.

wow, what a good question....I've never thought of what to do for liquid yeasts...I know some people have done similar things with dry yeast and measured out in grams the same amount of yeast....Then brewed a 5 gallon batch of beer and split it into 5- 1gallon batches....and pitched the same amount of yeast into each batch...

You might consider making 5 starters of the yeasts, then when the starters are all ready you could pitch the same anount in fluid ounces into each one....you could go to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html and use the pitching rate calculator to see how much you need for each 1 gallon batch...

Then I would just wash and jar the rest of the yeast from each of your starters...you'll have a nice yeastbank after that.

Keep us posted. :mug:

Depending on how scientific you want to be about it, I imagine pitching a propogator pack of whatever yeast you are using into 1 gallon would get pretty close, I hear it is hard for a hombrewer to overpitch unless dumping new beer on a yeast cake

Back