Lancaster Brewing Co.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
Just got a six-pack of Lancaster Hop Hog IPA. I loved it. I will buy more. But its not nearly as hoppy as I thought an IPA with the word "Hop" in the name would be. Has anyone else had this? Do you agree? For a "Hop-Hog"- I expected something else. Its really good though, and I'd like to some day find a clone.

It's a good beer and quickly became their best known beer, although their Amish 4 Grain Ale and Strawberry Wheat are damn fine too.

If you hit the brewery, they have a ton more that don't get bottled, including a very nice lemon pepper saison.

jezter6 said:
It's a good beer and quickly became their best known beer, although their Amish 4 Grain Ale and Strawberry Wheat are damn fine too.

If you hit the brewery, they have a ton more that don't get bottled, including a very nice lemon pepper saison.

I saw that on their website- I would have picked up the four grain over an IPA (I'm not a card carrying hop-head). I saw the strawberry wheat-and- um- backed away- but I'll pick it up now.

Yeah, they are just far away enough that I can't see SWMightBO going for it. But I'll get there sooner or later.

Lancaster OH is not Amish country. But has anyone out there ever been to Kirn-Keller park (AKA flatrocks)?

I just picked up a six-pack of the Amish 4-Grain pale ale. Holy cripes, that stuff is nice! It's surprising having that much mouthfeel from something so light in color.

I tried their milk stout once when I was at a bachelor's party in York, PA... but it was beer number 9 out of 12, and I have no cognizant memory of it... :drunk:

As someone who used to live in Lancaster (and who worked at the brewery for awhile) it pains me to say it, but I'm not crazy about their beers. Hop Hog is nice, but I wouldn't pick it out of a lineup...same with the A4G and the Milk Stout. I talked to the brewer about this (a long time ago -- not sure if he's still there) and it was a conscious decision on their part to brew really "safe" brews, for broad appeal

Can't argue with it from a business perspective, but I suspect a lot of carft beer diehards (like people whio post on this board) might find them a little boring.

I won't disagree, however I don't think any of them are BAD beers. I don't enjoy milk stout as a whole, so I can't comment on that but I do see their point - and it works. I see Hop Hog for sale everywhere.

I much prefer some of the things I had from the taps in the brewhouse that aren't bottled for commercial sale though. But it goes to prove the masses will buy what is marketed for the masses and make less than stellar brew popular.

I think much of the PA breweries are like that, with the notable exception of Victory. Stoudt's is good beer, but nothing prolific. Appalachian, while really good, doesn't do much in the way of 'out there' beers and don't market their (IMHO) best beers well. Aside from Troegenator, I don't touch anything from Troegs unless it's a sampler at a beerfest - and even then I usually choose that one if they have it.

I guess in the same line - Maryland brews are the same way. DuClaw is more like a Gordon Biersh - they try to be this upscale micro but they're just a chain and don't seem to actually sell beer outside the pub.

Edit: I just realized after posting that I brewed a Strawberry Wheat this weekend in honor of Lancaster. Goes great with Strawberry Philly Blunt - can't wait for mine to be ready!!

I've posted about quality control issues I have had with their milk stout in the past. After emailing the company and never receiving a response, I don't see any reason to purchase their product when we have access to plenty of great beer and several excellent PA breweries.

I've posted about quality control issues I have had with their milk stout in the past. After emailing the company and never receiving a response, I don't see any reason to purchase their product when we have access to plenty of great beer and several excellent PA breweries.

Yeah, based on your post I actually emailed the brewer (apparently he's still there, or at least that's what the web site says) describing the issue and linking the thread. I figured if he heard about a problem like that from someone who actually used to help him make the beer, he might respond.

No luck. Next time I visit my parents I'll drop in, and if I see him I'll see WTF is up.

Yeah, based on your post I actually emailed the brewer (apparently he's still there, or at least that's what the web site says) describing the issue and linking the thread. I figured if he heard about a problem like that from someone who actually used to help him make the beer, he might respond.

No luck. Next time I visit my parents I'll drop in, and if I see him I'll see WTF is up.

And right around that time, I emailed them via their site to inform them where I last purchased the most recent bad beer (and that it happened before), never heard anything back. I would really like to see them get a handle on this.

All that is a shame to hear about! Well, I later tried a few others- and found them not nearly as good as the hop-hog, which I still think is an awesome brew. The wheat was not at all what I like in a wheat, and the 4 grain did taste like other multi-grain things that I have had before, but lacked the mouthfeel/body that I would have liked with such flavors. I thought the stout was o.k., but I'm Really more into a beer gas + stout faucet setup for stouts.
I've been noticing a lot lately that many new micro brews (New to me anyway) have decent flavors but fall Way short on body. WTF? Maybe this is why I make my own.

I've been noticing a lot lately that many new micro brews (New to me anyway) have decent flavors but fall Way short on body. WTF? Maybe this is why I make my own.

Like what else for example?

I can't say I have noticed a craft body deficiency in general....

I can't find the 6-pack holder, but the one that I had in mind was another brewery from PA- Erie, I believe, and they had a lot of patriotic revolutionary times themes on their 6-pack holders. I'll post it when I find it again.
I'm comparing most things to Dogfish Head- (My current fav) which offers most of it's many IPA's at higher ABV than many of the others...which is a significant variable.....Nonetheless...... I've been less than happy with most of the stuff I've tried as of late. I know it's eak to not list them- I'll get back......

I too dislike The Lancaster Brewing beers (they just all have a "signature" taste that I can't put my finger on) . Hop Hog would be the only exception and I do find myself ordering it when lined up against commercial brews. That being said, I wouldn't order it or buy it over too many other Hop Bomb beers. Troegs has it covered in this area... I like just about everything they do. Victory is pretty good too, but some seem to be a little over-the-top, and not necessarily in a good way. Just my opinion.

On a related note, if you're in Lancaster PA looking for decent beer and food. Skip Lancaster Brewing all together. Their food is terrible. Iron Hill is putting out some good stuff, and although their food is pricey – it's always good.

Conestoga is a new brewery that puts out a good Pale Ale (7 Gates), and is workingto introduce a few more. It can be found throughout Lancaster's bars.

On a related note, if you're in Lancaster PA looking for decent beer and food. Skip Lancaster Brewing all together. Their food is terrible. Iron Hill is putting out some good stuff, and although their food is pricey – it's always good.

BUT if you are an AHA member, you get a 20% discount at Iron Hill. Not that I know or anything. :D

Conestoga is a new brewery that puts out a good Pale Ale (7 Gates), and is workingto introduce a few more. It can be found throughout Lancaster's bars.

The brewery you are speaking of is called Spring House Brewery. It's in Conestoga, PA in an old tobacco barn. Matt is a helluva nice guy and is the newest sponsor of our rugby team. Seven Gates is a damn tasty pale ale, and it is indeed getting served at a number of bars in the area.

Hop Hog ain't too bad but the Amish 4 Grain Ale can't be beat on tap in a frozen mug...(Hit the Texas Roadhouse in Lancaster!!)......awesome...

I can't find the 6-pack holder, but the one that I had in mind was another brewery from PA- Erie, I believe, and they had a lot of patriotic revolutionary times themes on their 6-pack holders. I'll post it when I find it again.

They're just called Pennsylvania Brewing Company. I had some of their Penn Weizen, it was ok.

LBC's stuff is pretty good, but I agree with what's been said: good, but not anything that jumps out at you. Same thing happened when my girlfriend and I toured Red Hook in NH...good beer, just uninteresting beer.

That said Troegs and Victory make AWESOME stuff. Although my first day at Troegs is Saturday, so I may be a bit biased :mug:

First all, Lancaster Brewing is beginning to step out a little, including a Tripel on tap(Haven't had it yet, but will tomorrow at Club meeting). I've heard that they are going to brew some stuff that they have stayed away from in recent years. I do think Iron Hill is taking some of their business and this is an attempt to squash that. I've never been a big fan of their beers, but a growler of Hop Hog for $8 is a great buy. And this is where it get's to the heart of the matter. Iron Hill is not cheap. Yes, they brew good beers, but $12 for 375ml of Triple Bock is crazy, $6 for handpumped Porter is nuts! If I want bang for a buck, I choose Troeg's Scratch series or Victory Variety(Golden Monkey, Prima Pils, Hop Devil). And Lancaster brews decent beers for a good price. But for this website, it should be known that both Iron Hill and Lancaster Brewing support homebrewing. We have our monthly meeting at Lancaster and Iron Hill hosted our first homebrew competition. So, if you have a few dollars...go to Iron Hill. If not, choose Lancaster. Knowing that both are good breweries.

But for this website, it should be known that both Iron Hill and Lancaster Brewing support homebrewing. We have our monthly meeting at Lancaster and Iron Hill hosted our first homebrew competition. So, if you have a few dollars...go to Iron Hill. If not, choose Lancaster. Knowing that both are good breweries.

Can't say I see the point in supporting a brewery with lackluster product and poor customer relations with my money.

Iron Hill OTOH throws out a consistently good product from both the beer and food POV...their strong support of local homebrewers is a bonus there:fro:

They're just called Pennsylvania Brewing Company. I had some of their Penn Weizen, it was ok.

LBC's stuff is pretty good, but I agree with what's been said: good, but not anything that jumps out at you. Same thing happened when my girlfriend and I toured Red Hook in NH...good beer, just uninteresting beer.

That said Troegs and Victory make AWESOME stuff. Although my first day at Troegs is Saturday, so I may be a bit biased :mug:

Actually, Pennsylvania Brewing is in Pittsburgh and the one from Erie is called Erie Brewing. I actually happen to like the Erie brewing varieties. Pennsylvania Brewing is better know for its german style pilsners which have won national awards.

You lucky bastard! They seem to take good acre of their employees there. My buddy is a brewer there and really loves it. As a testament to their beers, he actually even orders it at the bars. He introduced me to the Troegenator a few weeks ago and I haven't been the same since.

Troegenator has granted me many an awesome night as well.

I only work a couple Saturdays a month in the tasting room, but I'm definitely going to pick people's brains and get to know everyone and try to turn it into a full-time thing.

Back to LBC...

Of LBC's regular offerings, I enjoy the Amish 4-Grain and Milk Stout immensely. The Oktoberfest is good, as is the Rare Rooster Rye.

I thought all of lancaster's beers were average. I think I enjoyed the rye rooster and the strawberry wheat the most. The only thing about the strawberry wheat was the taste just builds on me where anything beyond 2 would be straining for me. I'm surprised they have issues with their bottles I thought they used Lion Brewery for bottling, I know I've seen all of their boxes in Lion's bottling room. Troeg's has good beer my favorite would be the Mad Elf and they have some good scratch runnings the only thing that really bothers me about Troegs is one time John quoted "When I want a Belgium beer, I go to Belgium, just like if I want a German beer I go to Germany'. After that I have a slight negative look at their brewery but other than that they seem like nice guys and have good beers. Stoudt's was mentioned earlier I honestly liked their beers more than Lancaster. A Pa brewery that I don't think gets that great of attention is Legacy. Their premium pils is better than Troegs sunshine pills and also better than LCB's rye beer. Their heidonism and hoptimus prime are really good beers also. Before I steal this topic too much I'll end my reply. If you live in Pa support all the breweries they have everything you can possible want.

Back