Oatmeal Stout Secondary Timing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
So I have an oatmeal stout in the primary right now. Since it needs some extra conditioning time because of the roasted grains (per LHBS), I was planning on leaving in primary for 2 weeks, and then secondary for 3-4 weeks, and then bottle. Will this pose any problems with viable yeast available for the carbonation of the beer? I've heard mixed opinions about this, so just wondering? Thanks!

Jason

You should have no trouble with that at all. I usually leave my oatmeal stout in secondary for 1.5 months and then bottle. I don't add yeast and have no problems with carbonation.

Thanks! I was pretty sure it would be ok, but I would hate to go through the hassle of bottling and it not be carbed when I opened it!

Jason

1 month secondary is nothing really. If you were going to keep one for 3 months you would definitely want to be hydrating and mixing in 1/2 a dry yeast package with the priming solution.

Back