No Nonsense Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just "drybeaned" my stout. I think it adds a smoother coffee taste and aroma. Also, add 1 vanilla bean to help with the harshness. I reduce bitterness a tad because coffee provides some itself. Just my opinion.

Sent from space for your convenience

Batch 2 is in the bucket... Following original recipe mostly. "Double" batch, but water up to 5g rather than 6, and 1# d-90 added. Having had bottle sludge issues from my steeping mistake, I went ahead and whirlfloc'ed it.

Having been in for 36 hours I got concerned not seeing any airlock activity. Looked carefully and found a small crack in the bucket lid near the airlock hole. I put some duct tape over it and hopefully that will keep foreign critters at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oops.

I forgot to take a FG reading, before I dumped priming sugar. It's been fermenting for 2 weeks, thought it should be enough.

After 5oz of corn sugar was added to the 5 gallons, I took the reading. 1.040. Presumably not done, right?
My work schedule is tight soon so I bottled anyway. The PET bottle was hard overnight, having been squeezed at capping.

How bad do you guys think it will turn out? It is all in the fridge now for fear of explosion.

That is without a doubt an explosion risk. The corn sugar only raised the gravity a bit. Usually 2-4 points.

You may want to crack the caps and release some of the CO2 or carb them to pressure and then throw them in fridge. Good luck! This beer is going to be sweet, really sweet.

The OG was 1.080. The original ingredients were doubled, plus 1# of d-90, topped up to 5g.

I moved it to the fridge the morning after bottling. I'll put a note on the beer fridge saying "careful with the oatmeal" or something to that effect.

After another week or so, I'll have one and see what it's like. If its dreadful, I'll dump it back in the bucket pitch fresh yeast and let it go for a week.

Didn't wait the week... Decided to crack one open tonight.

Looks like I'll be dumping it all back into the bucket and repitching.

Other than being far too sweet, it isn't so bad...

It's back in the bucket, dumped it before work so I didn't have time to let it warm up from fridge temp. When I get home from work I'm going to check for ferm restarting and if I see activity, I'll let it go, otherwise, repitch.

Ok! First bottle is in the glass. Needless to say is a bit sweeter than the original, but I like that. Proper roasting of the oatmeal has come thru in the flavor as well. I will definitely have a batch of this new version on hand at all times. I just hope the ferment mistake is not a crucial step in the production.

Cheers!

One and a half year bump...? :rockin:

I saw igliashon's original recipe earlier this year here on HBT, and I also found it posted on Brewtoad. I gathered the ingredients back in February, and I FINALLY brewed it last night. I wanted to avoid sorghum entirely, so I ended up using brown rice syrup instead of the sorghum syrup. Here is my recipe:

No Nonsense Oatmeal Stout (1 Gallon Batch)

Est. OG: 1.060
Est. FG: 1.016
Est. ABV: 5.8%
Est. IBU: 30 IBU

Fermentables (60 min. boil)
3/4 lb. toasted Bob's Red Mill Oats (~ 25 L) (steeped at ~ 155F for 30 mins pre-boil)
2/3 lb. D-180 Dark Candi Syrup (60 min)
1 lb. Sweet Dreams Brown Rice Syrup (added at flameout)

Hop Additions
.08 oz of Columbus (60 min)
0.1 oz of Columbus (20 min)

~ 3 g of Safale S-04 pitched @ 72 F

Brewed last night, started with ~ 2 gallons and steeped oats. Proceeded with boil schedule, cooled wort to 72 F and pitched yeast. Measured OG was 1.060! :ban:

This beer is technically for SWMBO, but I am pretty excited to drink it as well, being a craft beer lover and homebrewer. Maybe people still check on this thread, I sure hope so! I welcome feedback/advice, and I plan to keep people posted if some are interested. Cheers! :mug:

def interested to see and hear about results! i havent producex a stout yet

def interested to see and hear about results! i havent producex a stout yet

I am glad someone is out there! Haha.

So, as of right now, it has been in the primary fermenter for ~ 60 hours. It is still bubbling about once every 5 seconds or so, so it seems to be taking its time. But it looks great. I also took a couple of whiffs off the top of the airlock, and it smells really good, too. I will get a picture later tonight and post! :)

Interesting recipe I just finished a Porter two weeks ago using my home malted millet and it turned out nice. :mug:
Now I need to make a better batch for my friends and I.
How was the head retention on your brew?

awesome! i just started partial mash amber ale trials and really wanna nail that so i can move on to darker stuff!

I actually have not bottled it yet! Haha. It is still fermenting, probably will give it another two weeks and then take hydrometer readings. I just brewed it this past Monday.

I really would like to move to all grain for GF brewing. How difficult was it to roast the millet? I thought about ordering some millet and rice malts for the next GF beer I do.

As for the head retention, I forgot to put in my post that I used maltodextrin in the boil, I believe it was 1 or 2 oz. worth.

i bought my millet from glutenfreehomebrewing. i made an all grain that tasted like death because it was all crystal! derp. but it fermented perfectly and had great head retention with no additives. i did a partial in nov that tastes great

i bought my millet from glutenfreehomebrewing. i made an all grain that tasted like death because it was all crystal! derp. but it fermented perfectly and had great head retention with no additives. i did a partial in nov that tastes great

Nice! I have explored glutenfreehomebrewing.com pretty extensively, I will definitely plan to order from there. I actually came across the thread where you posted that you had made that beer you described, haha.

What was the recipe for your partial mash? :mug:

Back