My first beer is a complete surprise.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetgirl

Reaction score
This is my first beer ever (as well as my first post here). Because I like to run before I walk it's an all-grain brew.

Note: I can't actually consume large volumes of beer and my kitchen is small, so it's a ridiculously small amount. After a few successes I will probably scale up for sharing.

It’s kind of based on the Blood Orange Hefe in Extreme Brewing, but then I sort of went off on my own tangent. I'm one of the few weirdos in the world that really likes Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat, so I was sort of going for that, but with more depth and less... tangerine.

So here's what I did on Sunday, 12/12/10:

1. Brew-in-a-bag technique - I struck the mash at 160 degrees in 2 gallons of water and then did a single temperature infusion at 152 for an hour. I did not sparge.

- 2 lbs of german pilsner malt
- 2 lbs of wheat malt
- 0.50 lbs of honey malt

2. 60 minute boil - 0.2 oz of Amarillo Gold added at the start, at 45 minutes, at 59 minutes, and then I did a knockout hopping while I was chilling the wort. As I boiled I was getting pretty high evaporation rates and thus kept replenishing with boiling water from my tea kettle, attempting to keep the total volume at 1.5 gallons.

3. At the 59 minute mark I added an infusion of citrus peel, coriander, a few citrus leaves, and segmented citrus fruit (1 blood orange, 1 satsuma, 1 tangerine, 1 navel orange, 1 lemon - there was absolutely no pith anywhere in this mix).

4. I chilled the wort down to 80 degrees in about 20 minutes and got an excellent cold break. Poured the wort through a strainer into my fermenter (a 2 gallon bucket) where the nylon bag with the citrus bits that I had used to make the infusion was waiting.

5. The finished volume of wort was about 1.5 gallons. I pitched 2.5 grams of dry yeast in (Fermentis Safbrew WB-06), covered my bucket, and put on my airlock at 8pm Sunday night. My house temps stay about 60-65.

Recommended things that I didn't do out of forgetfulness or ignorance:

- I didn't aerate the wort other than pouring it into the fermenter
- I didn't rehydrate the yeast
- I didn't take an original gravity reading
- I possibly underpitched (Mr. Malty recommended 4 grams)
- The temperature is a bit low in my house

Monday morning I had no bubbling in my airlock but I could see a krausen forming.

Monday afternoon the airlock was bubbling slowly but steadily.

Tuesday afternoon the airlock had stopped and the krausen had fallen. I took a gravity reading and it's already down to 1.019. I'm going to take another reading in a day or two, and then check to see if it's still falling after that.

The sample I pulled tasted pretty good, so I poured it into a bottle of Great White, which I am drinking right now.

I am very much looking forward to bottling and drinking this beer!

by the recipe, looks like a different orange honey-wheat. made my mouth water :D printed it out for possible later brewing

Sounds like you did your homework before you jumped in.....Everything should be good. Congrats on your first brew and welcome to the site.

Sounds like you did your homework before you jumped in.....Everything should be good. Congrats on your first brew and welcome to the site.

Nice! That was your first attempt?

What's gonna happen when you know what the heck your doing?
Pretty impressive! I'd like a taste of that for sure.. None of those 'mistakes' are really issues at all..

I bet your beer turns out awesome!

My first brew was just an B3 extract IPA, and it turned out to be one of the best I had ever tasted to that point.. That's what got me hooked right from the get go..

I bet your first brew is gonna knock your socks off with how good it turns out!
:mug:

Yep, my absolute first attempt. Up until Friday I didn't know anything beyond the basics of brewing. Then on Saturday I gave myself a crash course, and Sunday morning I went to the local homebrew shop.

If it turns out maybe I'll call it Beginner's Luck. And then I'll have to call the second one Regression Toward the Mean.

Back