Wyeast Irish Ale 1084

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbarning

Reaction score
I have used this yeast for two batches of an Oatmeal Stout. The first batch had yeast pitched from a starter made using yeast from the smackpack. My most recent batch had yeast pitched from a starter that was composed of washed yeast from the previous batch.

I am noticing an off-flavor that is worrying me. I want to say that it is kind of sulphuric, but maybe just because I read that a lot on these forums. It is a flavor that seems to fall off of other brews I have made with completely different yeast strains after a few weeks.

The brew has been in the keg for around 3 weeks now. The good thing is that it is still drinkable (whew!), but I am worried about using the yeast I washed from that batch again.

Is that off-flavor a result of bacteria? I fermented at around 70 degrees F, so it is within the suggested range. I realize that this is tough to tackle without knowing all of the details. I just don't want to lose a strain of yeast if the issue is clearly something else.

I should also point out that whatever is attributed to the taste also has an impact on the odor. Maybe it is a trait relative to the strain.

I do find that 1084 takes quite a while to fully condition, though I usually get acetaldehyde/green apple from it, not sulfur. Given a few weeks, it clears up.

Now that I think about it, I believe it fermented at around 72*F. Maybe slightly higher. It was a hot week.

That does make sense. I usually stay in the range of 68 degrees, but that was an abnormally hot week.

I guess the good news is that I can keep the strain. I will just make certain to keep my fermenters in a bath to regulate temperature from here on out. Thanks everyone.

Back