Recipe Formulation & Ingredients Descriptions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These ingredients can come in handy for a large variety of purposes. Raw ingredients must go through a cereal mash before being used in brewing. Your regular mash must then contain enough enzymes to convert the starches, because these ingredients contain no enzymes of their own.
hu12uk1.jpg
22.gif

Pretty much, yeah. I think that's why some that use a lot of adjuncts in a beer add 6-row to get more enzymes for conversion. Besides water to grist ratios & temps.

Just starting to learn about home brewing. Great info. Thanks for this post!

Very useful info here! Thx for putting it out there. I learn so much everytime i read this site. Lovin it. I still havnt experimented with a lot of different grains but posts like this enable me to make better beer and learn what some changes/experiments in grain might do. Just went all grain 10 or so batches ago. Planted 8 dif varieties if hops this year which im also excited about. And my small backyard chicken flick absolutely love spent grains. CHEERS!

Last edited:
I may have missed it because i tend to start reading lots of forum posts after drinking a few beers, but what style of brewing is required to make recipes? i just recently began brewing (i am fermenting my 3rd and 4th batches right now) but have thus far only used malt extract kits from home brew supply shops. Do people make their own recipes with LME? or should i start moving towards all grain? also how does all grain differ from partial mash?

Thanks so much for all the info

I've brewed many different beers from extracts. You can brew a lot of them With extracts. Partial mash uses a smaller mash than all grain to produce wort for the boil. Then you ad plain DME or LME to get up to recipe OG. All grain is just that, no extracts involved. That said, my PB/PM BIAB beers are getting to be more like, " mostly mash". I only use some 2 1.2lbs of extract @ flame out to get up to recipe OG.

Latest posts

Back