sizing your mini fridge for kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
So i am looking to convert a mini fridge to a kegerator and was wondering if anyone had specs for the BARE minimum size the mini fridge needs to be on the inside for 2 corny kegs. I know the deminesion for kegs are easy such as the diamater is 9 inchs for each keg making a total of 18". However as we all know theoretical sizes never translate perfect to real life. I have seen several mini fridges that say they are 18 1/2" and i want to make sure people dont think 9 + 9 = 18 they will fit! Soo if you have a tape measure available and a small mini fridge please post the size needed both WxDxL that you have

ekjohns,
There's a post somewhere on here where they talk about this subject, but the title slips my mind. There are so many variables, like: are you willing to bend the freezer tubes out of the way?, Are you looking to put in a tower or front taps? Unless you have something definite in mind, I'm afraid the answers you get won't help alot. But hey, I've been wrong before. Luck - Dwain

def will bend the freezer if need be and yes there will be a tower. I am more conserned with the width and the depth of the fridge (assuming the door will be cut down to be flat) I know there is a theard talking about sizing a chest freezer but even on there with cardboard cut outs they have shown that the cutouts do not perfectly match the actual kegs. I have yet to buy 2 kegs so i cant just find one and bring the kegs along to drop in to test the fit

def will bend the freezer if need be and yes there will be a tower. I am more conserned with the width and the depth of the fridge (assuming the door will be cut down to be flat) I know there is a theard talking about sizing a chest freezer but even on there with cardboard cut outs they have shown that the cutouts do not perfectly match the actual kegs. I have yet to buy 2 kegs so i cant just find one and bring the kegs along to drop in to test the fit

I walked into a big appliance store always on TV with a shopping cart filled with 8 corny's for a hands on test fit as all freezer dimensions are outside not inside measurements. Then you have to look at racks if they can be removed plus the compressor hump. We were looking for a keezer to hold 8 corny's without needing a collar plus adding a coffin to the top with both gas bottles and regulators on the outside. With 6 corny's on tap the other 2 spaces for other items without fighting to jam everything in the keezer is my way of thinking. HomeDepot had only two chests plus wrong sizes. It takes time besides many more stores to check into in the future. No rush rather have what we want than hate it later.

do you think you could measure 2 cornys side my side for me as accuarte as possible so i can meassure some fridges please?

Dont count out building a collar for a mini fridge. I got a cheap sanyo for $50. I bent the freezer down and it held one corny. I recently build a wooden collar for it and now I can comfortably hold 3 cornys OR a 15g sanke.

do you think you could measure 2 cornys side my side for me as accuarte as possible so i can meassure some fridges please?

With two Pepsi corny's there will be a gap between them of 0.150" due to the rubber at the tops larger in diameter than the kegs body.
Across the rubber tops the minimum space two will fit in any space without allowing any clearance at all is 17 1/8" dead nuts. Bottom to top 25" even but remember allow more room for your ball lock fittings and hoses.
I didn't measure the one Coke keg as I remember it's 9" in diameter at the stainless, add a little for the rubber also is my guess, it's in the basement not wanting to walk at the moment even with my cane. (went past my pain pill time and hurt too much). That Coke keg is my only odd Pin Lock corny the rest are all Pepsi ball Locks.
The Pepsi corny's measure at 8.47" diameter at the stainless body.
Remember the above 17 1/8" is with no clearance at all with those two kegs, allow for some space when checking for a chest.

Dont count out building a collar for a mini fridge. I got a cheap sanyo for $50. I bent the freezer down and it held one corny. I recently build a wooden collar for it and now I can comfortably hold 3 cornys OR a 15g sanke.

This is an old thread so taking a shot in the dark. Do you have a good instructions and/or more detail on how to do this. I converted my old college dorm fridge into a kegerator and its worked fine enough for corny and 1/6 kegs, but I'd like to add like 2-3" of depth so I have the option of getting Slim 1/4 barrels. I'm guessing adding a wooden collar would work, but not sure how simple that is.

I'm guessing unscrew the door, add magnets around a wooden collar, and just make sure its a fairly tight fit.

Back