Glass or Plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky76

Reaction score
I did my first batch in a plastic bucket but I had not airlock activity and feel that the seal was bad. Question - should I do the second batch in a bucket or use one of the large glass carboys that I have? I will be doing a coopers draft kit.

Buckets are fine. I wouldn't age my RIS in a plastic bucket for 1 year. For normal beer fermenting, they are great.

6of 1, half dozen of the other, use which you prefer.

both work just as well. I prefer buckets for primary as it is easier to clean, and glass for secondary so i can see the clarity.

It's not a matter of glass vs plastic, but getting a good air tight seal, as you've already alluded to. I find that cleaning up the krausen remains is a pain in a carboy, whereas a bucket is simple. I use carboys for lagering, and if I did secondary fermentation I would there too.

Air tight seals are not required in primary. So go with whatever you prefer.

Is not this true only if you move to secondary? I don't use a secondary, but leave it in primary, usually three weeks, and keg/bottle straight from there.

Is not this true only if you move to secondary? I don't use a secondary, but leave it in primary, usually three weeks, and keg/bottle straight from there.

No not true at all.....there is a layer of co2 protecting your beer, and an airlock is ONLY to vent out excess co2....and if it's getting out elsewhere, then you have no worries, nothing else can get in.

Some people no longer use airlocks at all, some just cover the area with tinfoil, other's use plexiglass sheets over the bucket instead of a lid, and the co2 gets out on it's own.

airlock bubbling, lack of airlock bubbling, stopped airlock bubbling, fast airlock bubbling, slow airlcok bubbling, heavy metal airlcok bubbling, or disco airlock bubbling really is not an indicator of what is happening to your beer, really isn't important, and it is NOT an accurate gauge of fermentation.

I have 9 different fermenters and have been brewing for a few years, and OVER HALF OF MY BEERS NEVER HAVE ANY BUBBLING IN THE AIRLOCK AND THEY ALL TURN OUT FINE!

You will find that if you ignore your airlock, you will be less worried as a brewer, It is a fun entertainment device, but nothing else, and really irrevelant to making good beer.

And as to the whole "glass vs plastic" debate, there is plenty of info on here, it's really a non issue, and a non issue that has been beaten to death so there's no end of info if you look (as are all "vs" topics)...they both work fine, even for several months.

Some people no longer use airlocks at all, some just cover the area with tinfoil

I don't know how the hell those people do that. Every single time I've tried to use tinfoil for anything, I've ended up with flies and infections.

I don't know how the hell those people do that. Every single time I've tried to use tinfoil for anything, I've ended up with flies and infections.

dunno...not something I would try, but it just goes to show that airlock bubbling is less important to the scheme of things then most new brewers think.

Back