Ed Wort's 3 glass theory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejaz

Reaction score
Ed,first let me say this, I love your apfelwein, on my third batch and will be making another as soon as I bottle this one. But you're three glass theory doesn't cut it. I think if you drink 3 glasses of anything you will start to develope a taste for it. After getting down the third martini, I'm sucking the gin out of the olives. I made my first AG and it developed an infection, tastes sour. I threw a slice of lime in it and after the third one it tastes OK and I know it didn't taste OK when I had the first one. I think that's what happens when you start drinking different styles of beer, your tastes changes and adapts, Try 3 Buds tonite and call me in the morning.

PS: it was very hard spellin everythin right after 3 glasses of apfelwein.

see, the 3 glasses kicked your butt. Just wait till you get your AP tolerance up and you can barely type after 2 Champagne bottles and 6 regular bottles of the stuff...then you know you have a problem :)

But you're three glass theory doesn't cut it. I think if you drink 3 glasses of anything you will start to develope a taste for it.

Um, first off, I like apfelwein alright, but I never want more than a glass at a time. It's just pretty one-note for me.

Secondly, I don't buy your assertion either. 3 glasses of turd water doesn't make me like it any better. :p

I just had a whole six pack of Bud Ice over the last few days and I'm not going to buy it again. It's just terrible.

I just had a whole six pack of Bud Ice over the last few days and I'm not going to buy it again. It's just terrible.

Go brush your teeth and gargle with a homebrew, it will help get the nasty taste out of your mouth..

(Next time you're broke and itching for a beer, for god sakes call one of us, we'll talk you down and give you some real beer.);)

(Next time you're broke and itching for a beer, for god sakes call one of us, we'll talk you down and give you some real beer.);)

I had to do that for my buddy for a week, gave him HB because he was having a bad luck week, and he was pretty happy about it

I've never had any homebrew beer. Hell, I haven't even had any of my own homemade wine yet. The Bud Light was a lot worse than I thought. I did feel dirty after I drank it.

I usually drink a Harp, or a Black and Tan if I'm out. Boddington's is interesting. I went to a place in Houghton, Michigan (that's in the UP, where Yooper's are from) that let me sample 12 micro brew beers. I thought about 9 of them sucked, and the other three weren't all that great either. Hey, that's why I'm making wine, not beer.

I'll keep trying beers. One day I will meet the right beer ... then, we will fall in love, get drunk, and ... no wait, we'll get drunk and THEN fall in love ... you know what I mean.

I made my first AG and it developed an infection, tastes sour.

If it's your first AG, the sourness is probably astringency from your sparge. It's a lot easier to mis-sparge than mis-sanitize. I did that on my first one. Does the sour stay the same, or does it get stronger and stronger the more you drink? If it does, that's astringency. It builds up on your tongue.

3 glasses of Apfewlwein?!?!?

I had two of them the other night and I was cursing Ed the next morning...

(and yes, I did read the disclaimer prior to making it... :D)

:mug:

Um, first off, I like apfelwein alright, but I never want more than a glass at a time. It's just pretty one-note for me.

Secondly, I don't buy your assertion either. 3 glasses of turd water doesn't make me like it any better. :p

Did you try 3 glasses?

If it's your first AG, the sourness is probably astringency from your sparge. It's a lot easier to mis-sparge than mis-sanitize. I did that on my first one. Does the sour stay the same, or does it get stronger and stronger the more you drink? If it does, that's astringency. It builds up on your tongue.

No it doesn't seem to get stronger and the same thing happened to my second batch. The 3rd & 4th I sanatized the CFC real good and tasted both in the carboys and they have no sour taste. I hope after drinking 10 Gallons of sour beer, I don't develope a taste for it

Back