Fruit Beer Satsuma Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin_

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
S-33
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
12.0 IBU
Color
8.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
25 Days @ 67 Degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Easy Drinking
Please note, I based my recipe off of this recipe, so all base recipe credit should go to him: Bearded Brewing Blog: Whitefish Cranberry Wheat

6.00 lb Dry Wheat Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 75.00 %
1.25 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.63 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.25 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.13 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2.50 oz Satsuma Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33) Yeast-Ale

Partial Mash:
Mashed @ 153 for 60 mins with 3 quarts of water
Batch Sparged @ 168 for 10 mins with 2.5 quarts of water
Added 2 lbs DME at 60 mins boil
Added 4 lbs DME at 10 mins boil

Well, after making this and hearing all my friend's reactions I have decided to post this recipe. It has been an absolute hit. Too bad I can't get satsumas any more this time of year.

As for the satusma peel preparation, I used 4 satusmas and peeled them. I took a cheese grater to the backs of the peel to get the white off of them. I then chopped them up and baked them for about 15 minutes at 300 to dry them out and extract the oils. I'm not sure what you could use as a substitute for the satsumas.

Lookd good, but isn't that a lot of hops.. I know it technically at about 13 IBUs, but 2ozs seems like a lot.

How did this turn out btw?

I didn't really think it was too much, but it's always been my preference to go a little more on hops. The hop aroma played nicely with the sweetness of the satsuma. I'm not sure if you have any experience with satusmas, but they produce a lot more oil in the skin than regular oranges. Needless to say this beer was heavy was heavy on the satsuma taste, though not overpoweringly. This will definitely be entered in competitions next year.

Austin_ said:
I'm not sure what you could use as a substitute for the satsumas.

If you want a sweet taste with tart go with a clementine. Its the same thing as a satsuma but with a tighter skin and a bit sour taste balanced nicely with sweet. Ive worked produce for two years now so thought I wouks share that

Back