PM Lager Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
I'm going to take a trip up to my parents place in WI and give a lager a shot w/ my father. They way they're garage and connecting basement is heated in the winter, all we'll have to do is move the carboy to different spots to acheive the proper fermentation temps.

Anyway, I'd like to do a partial mash, and preferably a dark lager. From the few threads I saw, it sounds like this may take too long to lager as we'll probably only have 2 plus months to do it. Thoughts? Do they all take 4 months at lagering temps to smooth out?

Any recomendations for a good first lager partial mash recipie?

Do they all take 4 months at lagering temps to smooth out?

Any recomendations for a good first lager partial mash recipie?

A lower gravity beer should be good to go in your 2 month window, as long as you can force carbonate. I did AHS Schwarzbier as my first lager, and it was outstanding. It's available in minimash.

Excellent, I'll have to see if I can get that in time. I have more than two months including bottling, it just needs to finish lagering by mid to late March.

EDIT:
The more I read the more I hear the Schwarzbier takes a few months to hit its peak. This is the first time we'll be brewing together and I know we'll want to get at it ASAP. I think I might go for a good sharp pilsner.

Back