Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might also give this a go for a change. Have no mt. Hood though. Would replace it with mittlefrueh, first gold or tradition.

Sounds great. Let us know how that works. I didn't read through this entire thread so it might be covered.

Hey Denny,
Any advice for someone needing to try an extract version using Briess rye extract?

Just so happens that I helped develop that extract and it pretty much mimics my recipe! Here's the recipe....

#403 Rye IPA extract

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 3.00 Wort Size (Gal): 3.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 6.31
Anticipated OG: 1.076 Plato: 18.45
Anticipated SRM: 25.1
Anticipated IBU: 82.2
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 1.50 Gallons Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 4.50 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.051 SG 12.56 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
27.7 1.75 lbs. Amber Liquid Malt Extract 1.036 30
59.4 3.75 lbs. Amber Liquid Malt Extract 1.036 30
5.0 0.31 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
7.9 0.50 lbs. Cane Sugar 1.047 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.60 oz. Mt. Hood 2009 Pellet 5.20 7.9 First WH
0.60 oz. Columbus 2007 Pellet 14.40 62.7 60 min.
0.60 oz. Mt. Hood 2009 Pellet 5.20 11.6 30 min.
0.60 oz. Mt. Hood 2009 Pellet 5.20 0.0 0 min.

Yeast WY1450

Just so happens that I helped develop that extract and it pretty much mimics my recipe! Here's the recipe....

#403 Rye IPA extract

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Grain/Extract/Sugar

Hops

Yeast WY1450

It looks like this needs an edit. I see Amber Liquid extract twice and no Rye. I suspect one is supposed to be the rye. By my all grain recipe of this beer I would say it is the smaller amount.

It looks like this needs an edit. I see Amber Liquid extract twice and no Rye. I suspect one is supposed to be the rye. By my all grain recipe of this beer I would say it is the smaller amount.

Thought I'd fixed that! All the extract is Briess rye. I just grabbed what was already in my data base because I was too lazy to add it! There's only a single addition, too....dunno why I had 2 in there! The extract has almost exactly the same proportions if pale, rye and crystal as my recipe. I add just a bit of extra crystal for flavor and sugar for fermentability.

I made the recipe that was from the ingredient list of Northern Brewers all grain kit,(I think) (I bought my own grains rather than a kit) years ago. It is a great beer. I have to do it again sometime soon.

Thought I'd fixed that! All the extract is Briess rye. I just grabbed what was already in my data base because I was too lazy to add it! There's only a single addition, too....dunno why I had 2 in there! The extract has almost exactly the same proportions if pale, rye and crystal as my recipe. I add just a bit of extra crystal for flavor and sugar for fermentability.
Cool, thanks a lot.

Two days in the keg and this beer is already awesome. It seems to have the perfect balance, just enough rye and bitterness to make it interesting and delicious. My OG was a little low (1.063) due to my system requirements, but followed the recipe exactly and I can't imagine it being better with higher abv. (Mine landed at 6.19%). A great change from the hazies I've been making lately. Thanks Denny! It will not last long...

#403 Rye IPA extract

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Grain/Extract/Sugar

Hops

Yeast WY1450
No dry hops?

I finally brewed this with Denny's yeast and it's great. Definitely more malt flavor and full bodied. The rye plus this yeast give such a silky, creamy mouthfeel. I didn't find this yeast difficult to use or powdery. Three weeks in the primary and a week in the keg (even keg hopped) and it's clear and beautiful. This batch of Columbus wasn't as stinky, or the yeast makes it more subdued. Hard to tell. Still delicious. I just got a lb of Columbus and Mt. Hood from Hops Direct specifically for this recipe. I plan to keep it on tap most of the time as everyone loves it. It is potent stuff and easy to drink...... a dangerous combo. I'll try not to burn anything on the 4th when I'm serving it at a fireworks party! Cheers.

I just received an order from Morebeer that included the extract, Columbus and mt. hood hops, and Wyeast 1450.
I'll be brewing this shortly after the Red White and Brews event on Friday. This will be the first year that homebrew will also be served.
I'll be serving the recipe in the current Zymurgy that accompanies my Last Drop article "Brewin' In a Schoolie".

I just received an order from Morebeer that included the extract, Columbus and mt. hood hops, and Wyeast 1450.
I'll be brewing this shortly after the Red White and Brews event on Friday. This will be the first year that homebrew will also be served.
I'll be serving the recipe in the current Zymurgy that accompanies my Last Drop article "Brewin' In a Schoolie".

Great article!

Hi Denny! I've been a follower of yours for many years back to HBD on the old servers. I just recently brewed up a slight variation of your recipe for a competition that required the recipe be 20-50% rye. Entries are due in on 8/12, so I am thinking of brewing it a 2nd time. The first time I used US-05, because I had it on hand already but would like to brew it with the Wy1450 that is recommended.

The only changes I made were subbing 8oz of the C-60 with 8oz Crystal Rye, added 12oz of Flaked Rye and added 2oz of Chocolate 420L to give it a distinct red color. I call it Red Eye Rye. This was only brewed 8 days ago, so its still in primary. The wort in the hose though had a great red color to it. I kept all the hops the same, and just adjusted the amounts to match IBU's.

With the grain changes, it gave me 18.2% Rye, 4.5% Flaked Rye, and 3% Crystal Rye for a total of 25.7% rye. If you had to bump up the Rye past 20%, how would you have done it?

I have made that recipe with 30, 40, and 60 % rye simply by upping the rye malt. I prefer rye malt to flaked rye. The 30% was pretty good, the 40% wasn't bad, the 60% was interesting but I won't be doing it again!

Thanks Denny! I'm going to bump it up to 4.5lbs which would put it at about 27%, and remove the Flaked Rye. I had read that the Flaked Rye had less of a pronounced flavor than the Rye Malt, so my thinking was I could use that to bump up the percentage without adding as much flavor (as an equivalent of Rye Malt). I don't have much experience with Rye, so I'm going to drop it in the 2nd brew and see if I can tell the difference between the 2.

Have you used the Crystal Rye at all? I asked at my LHBS, but they didn't have any experience with it. I'm thinking I'll change that back to the 1.25# of C-60 as well.

Making the starter for this one tonight, and hope to get it brewed as soon as possible since the clock is ticking! Due in just 27 days!

Thanks Denny! I'm going to bump it up to 4.5lbs which would put it at about 27%, and remove the Flaked Rye. I had read that the Flaked Rye had less of a pronounced flavor than the Rye Malt, so my thinking was I could use that to bump up the percentage without adding as much flavor (as an equivalent of Rye Malt). I don't have much experience with Rye, so I'm going to drop it in the 2nd brew and see if I can tell the difference between the 2.

Have you used the Crystal Rye at all? I asked at my LHBS, but they didn't have any experience with it. I'm thinking I'll change that back to the 1.25# of C-60 as well.

Making the starter for this one tonight, and hope to get it brewed as soon as possible since the clock is ticking! Due in just 27 days!

I've used both crystal and chocolate rye. My impression was that they're OK, but neither blew me away.

I took a gravity reading two weeks in; can't tell for sure if this is 1.021 or 1.020. O G was 1.070, rye extract with a bit of Crystal 60 and some sugar. The hydrometer sample tasted good. Dry hopped; will bottle in about a week.
IMG_20190721_131739.jpg

I took a gravity reading two weeks in; can't tell for sure if this is 1.021 or 1.020. O G was 1.070, rye extract with a bit of Crystal 60 and some sugar. The hydrometer sample tasted good. Dry hopped; will bottle in about a week.View attachment 636639
After letting it set for awhile it looks like it's just a teeny bit under 1.020. I was hoping for about 1.018 so close enough.

Work has gotten in the way, and I still haven't been able to brew my 2nd batch of this. Hoping to get it brewed tomorrow morning, leave it in primary for 5 days at 63ish, and then bump it up to 70 for 2-3 days. Assuming its done fermenting at that point, I'll cold crash on the 29th, transfer to keg on 8/2 or 8/3 and dry hop with 2oz Columbus. By the due date of 8/12 to turn in the keg for the competition, it should be in good shape as far as carbonation goes, and hops.

Got it bottled, unfortunately only got T-A-D and three bottles
IMG_20190728_111853.jpg
instead of the six I expected. The siphon quit a bit early and to restart it would have stirred up the trub.

@Denny: Sorry if this has been asked and answered previously. When I first made your recipe late 2007 or early 2008 it was just Denny Conn's rye IPA. When did the wry smile thing start?

What's the SRM suppose to be? Punching the all grain ingredients into beersmith and I can't get that close to the 12.7 that is listed in orginal post. I am getting only 11.3, which normally I wouldn't care about a small change in SRM but that is basically the different between orangey and reddish.

I brew using a robobrew so I will more than likely do a partial mash with a couple lbs of lme because I will never comfortably be able to get all that grain in there.

Back