Pop, soda, coke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pop, Soda, Coke

• Pop

• Soda

• Coke

• Other?

Results are only viewable after voting.

z987k

Reaction score
Saw this today, thought it was kinda cool, seeing what different parts of the country, and even states call soft drinks.

popvssodamap.gif

That map seems mostly accurate, but I live in the Pacific NW and everyone around here calls it soda, while the map suggests we use pop. When I grew up in MI, it was always pop and I didn't start using the term soda until I joined the Navy and got stationed on the west coast.

I'm a soda guy.

Got to admit I never understood the coke thing but have learned to say Coca Cola when my answer requires to be expanded upon.

soda pop...

however, i became less concerned when i discovered beer on tap.

you're having a fountain drink?

i will too, make sure mine is suds.

This is a topic of conversation when we go to Buffalo. I always give a strange look when someone offers me a "pop," and they give one right back to me when I ask for a "soda." My wife is ambisodapopdextrous, she grew up in San Diego (soda), lived in Buffalo for ten years (hardcore pop), and has spent the past decade in New England (soda).

Of course, all of this confusion would be eliminated if we just drank beer!

Coke, If I want something other than a Coke, I say "Sprite please".

:off:Mostly however, I ask for sweet tea. I know that some of you don't know what that is.:D

we called it coke down home. soda in the city. but i swear that stuff will kill me some day. its so bad for you they say! :mug:

I'm a NYer transplanted to Michigan and I say soda.
I've recruited my wifes family into saying soda now too.
1 by 1, ill change this state.

Love the map!

Its soda. In Buffalo they call it pop, bothered me when I was in college.

Growing up in Texas, College Staion, it was "coke', then you would say what flavor, ie "RC", "Mr. Pibb", whatever. Thought that was strange, even as a kid.
Now that I've lived in the PNW for the past 14 years, it's everything from soda, to pop, to sodapop, to sodawater.

"It's soda ... it says it right there on the ****ing can, farmer!"

Sorry, Dice Clay bits flashing through my head.

I didn't even know Coke is used generically, and according to the map I am surrounded by "Coke counties". But yeah, it's definitely soda ;)

I generally avoid using trademarks generically because I sound smarter that way.

It's always been Coke here in Bama, but when my Dad moved to Colorado, I went and visited and he said, "do you want a pop?"

I was like "WTF is that? give me a Coke!!!"

Good thing he moved back to the South before I had to disown him...:)

I'm a NYer transplanted to Michigan and I say soda.
I've recruited my wifes family into saying soda now too.
1 by 1, ill change this state.

FU I'll never change!! It's POP Dammit! POP!!!

Now why would anyone call pop Coke? Coke it the name of a specific pop, not a name for all pop! My wife went to Boston area once and ordered a pop, and they thought she was trying to order some booze!

I usually order by name of pop, but I usually rather have beer, tea (unsweetened, thank you) or water. In that order.

We native Bostonians don't know from pop. Soda, we got. We'll give you a Coke if you ask for a Coke. Want Pepsi, ask for Pepsi. But none of that stinkin' sweet tea.

Back