I just made some good beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJTomatoguy

Reaction score
I just did the kit that came with the gear-True Brew Amber.

Boiled it over all over the stove--

Tasted it - it tasted very good, and smooth.

Shoved the airlock in and pushed the rubber gasket out of the lid, so off came the lid and read the directions. attempt # 2 went well.

Hydrometer reading was 1.044, which is exactly what is stated in instructions.

All in all, went well.

Next up is continental dark from true brew- added it to the original order.

A question.

I may have put the yeast in too early. It still says 76 on the thermometer on the side of the bucket. the directions said it should be under 90. Do you guys think it will be a problem. I put it in the tub, half full of water, and have a wet towel on it.

If it blows/overflows, at least its in the tub.

You're fermenting in a bucket, right? Then no worries about ending up with beer all over. That happens with carboys. You're fine.

Adding the yeast at 76 degrees isn't going to hurt anything either. You're still fine!

You, my friend, have made beer! Ain't it something? :D

Let us know how it turns out!

Bob

bubbling away in the airlock!
must have done something right.

Getting yeast to ferment wort is relatively easy. Getting it to make good beer is a bit more complicated. I don't know what temps you're keeping your fermenter, but I really highly recommend keeping your fermentation temps under 70f. It will vastly improve the quality of the finished product.

Bottled it on sunday while emptying bottles for the next batch:tank:
It is awful clear. I thought it would be cloudy? There is a bit of sediment on the bottom of the bottle, and it looks great.
I used one of the clear bottles , and i keep the bottle on my desk to watch the progress. I have a dark office, and i figured it would be better to leave this one out than to keep checking the others. They are in a dark closet at 73 degrees(last time I checked temp) for the next 3 weeks.
After bottling this red ale, I brewed a continetal dark kit, with grain steeping bag.
Thurs I will pick out my next brew, and brew that while bottling the continental.
Maybe by Thanksgiving I'll be homebrew-only?

Bob

I just did the kit that came with the gear-True Brew Amber.

Boiled it over all over the stove--

Tasted it - it tasted very good, and smooth.

Shoved the airlock in and pushed the rubber gasket out of the lid, so off came the lid and read the directions. attempt # 2 went well.

Hydrometer reading was 1.044, which is exactly what is stated in instructions.

All in all, went well.

Eh? You tasted it before you ferment it?

Back