Hop Pole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blefferd

Reaction score
well my rhizoms are on the way from northern brewer so i went out last night to the HD in seach of a 14-16 foot long 4x4 no luck longest they had was 10 foot. but they did have 2x4x16's so i bought 2 of those instead

took them home glued them toghter with wood glue drove a bunch of screws in them and now i have my hop pole! im going to dig down about 1-2 feet and quick crete the pole in the ground I live in florida and we have been having high winds this year, and hurricane season is coming up!

im going with the traditional "may pole" or teepee looking style hop set up only bad thing is im only going to get one years yield out of them before i have to move!! :( ill post pics later when i get it all set up!

You don't get much the first year anyway. Once the bines die back in the Fall, you can just dig them up and take them with you. Transplanting them does not bother the roots and it is the size & age of the root that determines how strong the plant is.

I'd go with 2 feet for the hole.

Back